Confession Time - Music You're Embarrassed to Admit Listening To

by Simon 54 Replies latest jw friends

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

New kids on the block!!! Lol

• TD
    TD

Schlager...

Schlager is a genre of music half-way between modern rock and traditional folk music.

--Simple melodies deliberately designed to get stuck in your head. It's typically (although not always) sung by an attractive woman and often sickly sweet. (Enough to make your teeth fall out.)

English speakers might be familiar with ABBA, Aqua and A-Ha, which are all technically schlager, although not the purest examples of it.

It's not that I don't like other, more serious forms of music. I do.

Schlager cheers me up when I'm in a bad mood though. --A little bit like comedy that's so stupid you find yourself laughing anyway.

Here's a good example: (Not that I've ever listened to it - LOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU0aKa7PFBg

• blondie
    blondie

I have to admit that I was a Manilow fan back when he was really popular. I liked how he arranged songs by others to sound so much better than the original covers. He arranged for the Beach Boys and Bette Midler.

But some stars dim and others still burn brightly.

Example: Elton John

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

But some stars dim and others still burn brightly. Example: Elton John

Blondie ...

I definitely agree. Elton was one of the first concerts I ever saw back in the day (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Tour). Seen him at least 3 other times also.

I wanted to see him on his farewell tour but I really hate to take out a second mortgage and then have to sit in the nose bleed section.

Rub a Dub

• blondie
    blondie

Rub a Dub, I know how you feel. My husband got us both tickets to see Paul McCartney in person for our anniversary (I missed the 60's since I was a jw teenager at the time.

Blondie

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

(I missed the 60's since I was a jw teenager at the time.

Blondie ...

You only have a few years on me (I was a JW teen in the 70's) and yes, I did take my wife to see her "idol" (ooopps, can't use that word in the Borg) Bon Jovi for our anniversary a couple of years ago.

Even then, it was like 250 each for really good seats. I hear that the Stones are getting double that on their tour (or a lot more for the best seats).

Where have the 70's gone?

(BTW, Pink's remake of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit is, IMO, better than what Grace originally did. I've listened to the live version on YouTube a hundred times .... "Go ask Alice, I think she'll know .... ").

Rub a Dub

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

https://youtu.be/arZZw8NyPq8

Ever since someone here mentioned this as a mesmerizeing video 6 months ago, I cant get it out of my head. Maybe its just the pretty girls too...

• Zoos
    Zoos

When I was still brain scrubbed... I loved playing the Kingdom Melodies on Sunday morning as I got ready for meeting. It helped get my spiritusistic juices flowing. I was convinced is drew me closer to Jehovah on this special day of worship.

(if I knew how to spell the sound of puking, it would appear here: _________ ).

I love classical music. Most of my redneck friends don't know that. But I do.

This girl is fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjx-AxpZUxQ

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

How was Paul McCartney?

• blondie
    blondie

All or nothing, better than great. He has some good humor, personal revelations, and was willing to play quite a few of his old songs, Wings songs, and some of his new songs.

He talks about his family.

His grandchildren call him Granddude.

It is hard for me to think of him as a grandfather.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit