Did Jesus die on a stake or pole?

by sweetyj 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

idied.i just posted the above as I thought it was super important for a JW apologist to be aware of

The fact it was drawn in the early 200s AD ie just over 100 years after Christ so to JWs definitely around the time of the early Christians - in other words to JWs 'genuine' Christians - means that it legitimizes the fact that first century Christians not only accepted Christ was murdered on a cross, but that they actually WORSHIPPED Jesus.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Yes, the cross was a part of early Witness teaching as the cover of this October 1, 1931 Watchtower shows.

• sir82
    sir82

Here's something I've always wondered about - I've never found an answer to it.

OK, yes, the basic meaning of stauros is "upright pole".

But, there is ample evidence (Tacitus, Josephus, et al) that the Romans used an upright pole with a crossbeam (i.e., a cross) to execute prisoners in the first century.

So, suppose you are a first century Koine Greek writer.

If stauros can only mean "upright pole without a crossbeam" (the WTS position), then what word would I use, in Koine Greek, to signify "upright pole with a crossbeam"? Such instruments definitely did exist.

If there is no separate word (and I suspect there is not, though I have not been able to confirm that), then the WTS's position, that stauros must mean "without a crossbeam", is as weak an argument as I can imagine.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Lets begin from Scratch. Did the supposed Jesus really Existed ?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All the stake/cross debate is academic, IMO.

The only real reason the WTS switched it up was to be contrarian and different from mainstream Xtianity, with the idea that being different would somehow make them look better.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

If Jesus existed and was Executed during our times, Lethal Injection or Electirc chair or Hanging ropes would have become holy symbols.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As a lifelong JW, I have never and still don't understand the big deal of the stake/cross thing.

I thought the whole point of Jesus death was the offer of a perfect sacrifice for atonement of sins.

So if Jesus was nailed to a stake, cross, tree, or to Pontius Pilate's garage, wasn't the whole thing about the perfect life being offered as a sacrifice? It's like arguing If the nails were made of brass, 314 stainless steel, iron or whatever, so what?

I just don't get it.

Rub a Dub

• Ding
    Ding

A great example of the WT majoring on minors.

What difference does it make?

I never understood why the WT considered a traditional cross to be a pagan phallic symbol... but a single upright stake isn't?

It's all about the WT trying to convince JWs that they have superior Bible knowledge that makes them more righteous than the people of Christendom.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

I thought that HE DIED WAS THE IMPORTANT THING not on what???

I dont care anyhow.

Zing

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Ding - I never understood why the WT considered a traditional cross to be a pagan phallic symbol... but a single upright stake isn't?

Agreed. If the Romans wanted to kill someone, they wouldn't go all PC Snowflake, and not hang Jesus on something that offended him and his gang. Like they would these days with all the wet lefty whingers. They'd just kill the person. Cross, stake, electric chair or relentless watching JW broadcast........or some other horrific death.

Just saying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit