Did Jesus die on a stake or pole?

by sweetyj 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

why did people in the Bible such as Lazarus...need to die again ?

Sea Breeze: Because they sinned in their body again after they were resurrected.

How are you so sure that Lazarus sinned again. How can you label a righteous person (As per the Bible) as a sinner. And what about those bunch of holy people who were resurrected when Jesus died ? Even they Sinned (Again) and died (Again) ?

If holy people would die again, even after a resurruction, who at all would live eternally after a resurrection ?

Sin >> Die >> resurrection >> Sin >> Die >> resurrection >> Sin >> Die >> resurrection >>

Would this be an eternal Cycle...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    why did people in the Bible such as Lazarus...need to die again ?
    Sea Breeze: Because they sinned in their body again after they were resurrected.

Lazarus kept coveting his neighbours ass.

Lazzy: Hey, Ahithophel, nice ass.

Ahithophel: Who wants to be a naughty boy, then?

Lazzy: I'll bring the poppers, lovie.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

He died on a large stake that was permanently anchored into the ground. He first carried the cross beam through the streets and was ridiculed. Once Jesus reached skull place the Roman soldiers placed him on the cross beam and then hoisted him up on the large stake. All the facts point to this method. The solo upright stake theory has so many flaws.

• jhine
    jhine

As l said before , surely the real reason that the WT makes a big deal of this is to separate JWs from other faith groups . Another " ya shucks boo to you, we've got the truth and you haven't " No Christmas , birthdays or blood are other methods of isolation and are ways to convince JWs that only the WT has the truth .

As an outsider looking in it also seems to me that these things also serve to screw with people's minds when they leave " the truth " . Maybe that should be another thread , which JW difference teaching lingers in the psyche when someone leaves the WT .

Jan

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

jhine - I agree with you. Most cults have that 'special knowledge' that sets them apart. It makes them feel special and strokes the ego. I think it's a bit like that for the tin foil hat mob too.

I admit I'm partial tin foil hat. It's sort of a Pascal's wager in tin foil.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

surely the real reason that the WT makes a big deal of this is to separate JWs from other faith groups . Another " ya shucks boo to you, we've got the truth and you haven't " - yep, 100%.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner, laydees n gennelmen!!!

I admit I'm partial tin foil hat. It's sort of a Pascal's wager in tin foil - hahaha XD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What Jhine said .....

l think that now it is another device to separate JWs from

Christendom , that simple . It feeds their superior attitude

" we are right you are wrong ".

Archeological findings have confirmed the Romans crucified their worst criminals on a cross of two opposing pieces of wood, most likely reused once the individual has died.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Finkelstein : Archeological findings have confirmed the Romans crucified their worst criminals on a cross of two opposing pieces of wood..

Can you please cite the archaeological findings you have in mind which would indicate this to be true of pre-Constantine Romans. The Ancient Near East Today, published this month, claims that not to be so.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Jhine, you are so right. In the past I would cringe whenever I saw the cross. The WT made it so taboo. I never thought about it being a tool to keep former members from joining other churches. Good observation.

I don't know if it has already been said but there is another interesting fact to prove that it had a cross beam. John 21:18-19 has Jesus describing Peter's future death. "...But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and another man will clothe you and carry you where you do not wish. He said this to indicate by what sort of death he would glorify God."

Peter was going to stretch out his arms on a cross beam and be crucified per the scripture above. This sounds as if the common torture device being used in Peter's day was a cross. Peter and Jesus were similar in age so Jesus had to have been put on the same type of device.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Acluetofindtheuser : Peter was going to stretch out his arms on a cross beam and be crucified per the scripture above.

You are reading into the scripture what is not there. The scripture (John 21:18) says:

When you were younger, you used to dress yourself, and walk about where you wanted. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and another will dress you and carry you where you do not wish.

So, instead of dressing himself as he did when he was younger, Peter would stretch out his hands and be dressed by another. That is the context of the verse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit