Warwick and transport to meetings

by berrygerry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Duplicate post. Ignore this post. Hi, how are y'all?
  • blondie
    blondie

So I take it you are not familiar how Bethelites at Wallkill and Patterson get to their meetings? Even in NYC all Bethelites did not all take the subway, they car pooled with other Bethelites and donated their travel money to the car owner/driver/gas buyer and maintenance payer.

Some travel as far as 50 miles from Wallkill. When I lived near Wallkill, 30 miles away, Bethelites maintained cars more easily, parking not an issue. Bethelites get travel money as part of their monthly stipend.

Most male Bethelites work Saturday mornings (has that changed) and get one more off as they reach 40 and 50. Sisters have them all off by 40. (If that has changed please post changes). A few wives (not many single sisters and they don't last long....marriage) go together on Saturday without husbands. But most have local jws they come out and stay the weekend with, and go out Sunday morning or afternoon depending on KH schedule. Some local jws help them with their transportation costs.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Room 215 - "I believe they're going to have a real logistical problem..."

Why?

More and more people that they don't need are already being "let go", anyway...

...how much you wanna bet that long-distance commuters won't fall into that category?

• blondie
    blondie

I had 16 Bethelites at my congregation; more than attended NYC congregations. The circuit had the highest percentage of Bethelites than any other circuit.

There were 12 elders in the congregation, all but 3 Bethel elders as well. It was a ghost town in our congregation during the summer when many worked Bethel jobs connected with farming as well as those who went to regional conventions outside the district area. Many book study groups met together on Saturday. Bethel jobs came first above meetings and duties at the congregation. Congregation donations were less...so local jws were told to give more. There were only 3 local elders to take up the slack but then demeaned as have less spiritual assets as the Bethel elders.

But still many congregations worked their territories every 6 weeks and only regular pioneers and book study conductors could hold territories.

• sir82
    sir82

Most male Bethelites work Saturday mornings (has that changed)

I believe all Saturday morning work was eliminated several years back, for everyone.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi Vidiot

More and more people that they don't need are already being "let go", anyway......how much you wanna bet that long-distance commuters won't fall into that category?
    Why?

Surely commuter and remote bethel volunteers/workers are the cheapest!! No accomodation costs, reduced food costs etc etc

Edited: unless you're trying to construct a 'double-negative'? Commuter bethels 'won't' be 'let-go'?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    darkspilver - "...Commuter bethelites 'won't' be 'let-go'?"

Given the Org's track record for how it treats Bethelites who are no longer useful or "fit the mold", absolutely.

After all, the whole point of all the dorms and apartments at the Warwick compound - and there are a lot - is so that Bethelites (or, "Warwickians", I guess? :smirk: ) live on-site.

Commuting would defeat the whole purpose.

• sparky1
    sparky1

In my day, many Bethelites had their own cars. When I was at Watchtower farms in the mid '70s, mine was a 1969 Chrysler Newport coupe; green with a green alligator vinyl roof. We carpooled back then and helped each other out with finances. I would assume that it would be the same today.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    sparky 1 - "...a 1969 Chrysler Newport coupe; green with a green alligator vinyl roof... I would assume that it would be the same today."

Why on earth would the Org want to use those old clunkers nowadays? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi Vidiot

Commuting would defeat the whole purpose.

that's cool then, commuter's for the chop before full-timers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit