Why is this masonic type image linked to JW-Media website?

by Pleasuredome 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Wow, all these claims really "beg the question," where is the proof? And, what makes the Masons so evil? And does using a photo, or any image make you one of "them"?

I am the first to realize the faults of the Jws, however, please post the reasons for your claims.

I also disagree with the "blanket" sun worshiper claim. Using the "argumentum ad populum" or, everyone knows this is a fact ....is not very convincing and inaccurate . Are we talking about "since the founding" or the activities of some cir AD 250? Again, I have read many theories on the matter and have not read any convincing evidence to change my viewpoint.

• link
    link

ThiChi,

Many thanks for the voice of reason. Freemasonry does not hold the copyright on any of the emblems or symbols it uses, consequently they are used by organisations, clubs and churches around the world. They appear on such things as books, buildings, tombstones etc. that have nothing to do with Fremasonary.Freemasonry uses these symbols because they happen to be in the public domain so anyone can use them (and does).

Obviously this is not the point of the thread but it needs clearing up.

link

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

IMHO the WTS does not always do their research very well, thats why they need that new light all the time. Just someone email them with the fact that this has a pagan origin and see how fast it comes down. LMAO

Gretchen

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    the fact that the WTS has put this image on their website which ascociates JEHOVAH (tetragrammaton) with the SUN. in other words Jehovah is the Sun. Sun worship.

From the portion of the image you posted, I would not go so far as label it as a representation of the sun. As is well-known in Christian art, glory and holiness is often depicted the same way -- as a circular array of rays streaming from the figure or person of interest. Of course, this motif is itself derivative from solar iconography. But that in no way identifies Jehovah with the sun or represents sun worship.

In art, language, and other aspects of culture, representations are semiotically composed of two things: the signifier (the artifact, the word, the symbol) and the signified (what is being represented). The artistic motif of shooting rays is a signifier that at one time indexed the Sun as the signified but within the Jewish-Christian demythologizing context which directly opposes the iconic representation of concrete signifieds (as forbidden in the Ten Commandments; "any likeness of anything in heaven," Exodus 20:4), the signifier is used to represent abstract signifieds like glory and holiness which in Jewish-Christian literature is described in almost solar terms ---

"his splendor was like the sunrise, rays flashed from his hand," Habakkuk 3:4

"all around him was what looked like fire and a light all around...the glory of Yahweh," Ezekiel 1:27-28

"a stream of fire poured out, issuing from his presence," Daniel 7:10

"beneath his throne were issuing streams of flaming fire ... flaming fire was round about him," 1 Enoch 14:20-22

"his eyes are like the rays of the sun and his face glorious," 1 Enoch 106:5

"his face shown like the sun and his clothes became as white as light," Matthew 17:2

"his face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance," Revelation 1:16

There is no inherent or stable connection between the signifier and signified and thus the same signifier can link to different signifieds over time, and when the motif represents something more abstract than the Sun, it can be generalizable and applied to a wider range of referrants and we see this in the texts above with the earlier texts (i.e. Habakkuk and Ezekiel) applying the motif only to Yahweh while the later texts (1 Enoch, Matthew, Revelation) apply it to angels, Jesus during the tranfiguration, and potentially to all the righteous (Matthew 13:43).

Sun-worship did indeed contribute to use of solar imagery in Yahwism at least initially, and Mark Baker in his Early History of God devotes a chapter to this subject. He writes: "To summarize, solar language for Yahweh apparently developed in two stages. First, it originated as part of the Canaanite, and more generally Near Eastern, heritage of divine language as an expression of general theophanic luminosity. Like Ningirsu, Assur, and Marduk, Yahweh could be rendered in either solar or storm terms or both together. Second, perhaps under the influence of the monarchy, in the first millenium the sun became one component of the symbolic repetoire of the chief god in Israel just as it did in Assur, Babylon, and Ugarit. In Israel it appears to have been a special feature of the southern monarchy, since the abvailable evidence is restricted to Judah; it is not attested in the northern kingdom. Furthermore, it seems to have been a special expression of the Judean royal theology" (pp. 157-158). Associating Yahweh, the king, and the Messiah with the sun is biblical (cf. Psalm 84:12, 2 Samuel 23:3-4, and Malachi 3:20 respectively), and thus it is not surprising if in Judeo-Christian art the tetragrammaton is embedded in motif derived from solar iconography.... what is surprising of course is the WTS accepting an image at all derivable from pagan iconography, since they endeavor to reject the signifier entirely if it is ever used by "pagans" in their worship or culture.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Reminds the witnesses of the Gargoyles on the Bossert Hotel in Brooklyn

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi Tai Chi... "And, what makes the Masons so evil?"

I think it's because they say ANY Supreme Being is okay (vs. Jesus being the ONLY way to salvation). It's been awhile and I can't remember all the specifics, so if interested, here are a few links:

The Freemasonry Corner:
    "Newsletter Archives For Christians Regarding Freemasonry": http://www.cuttingedge.org/fmcorner.html

Testimonies of Former Masons & Testimonies of Pastors: http://www.ephesians5-11.org/testmony.htm

Ex-Masons for Jesus http://www.emfj.org/ is a fellowship organization for those who have left the Masonic Lodge to follow Jesus Christ. Former members of the Masonic Lodge, Blue Lodge, Scottish Rite, York Rite, Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine or Shriners, Order of Rainbow, Order of DeMolay, Order of Eastern Star are eligible to participate.

More Freemasonry Links: http://www.ephesians5-11.org/links.htm
    Order of Former Freemasons: http://www.fish4masons.org/home.html
    Freemasonry Connection with the New World Order: http://www.cuttingedge.org/free001.html
    Evangelical Truth - Irish Secret Societies, including Freemasonry
    Saints Alive in Jesus

Hope for the World - http://www.garykah.org A site dedicated to exposing those activities and organizations which are working to undermine American freedoms, are threatening traditional Christian values, or are advancing an occultic New Age/One World agenda.
    -----------
    As a coincidental side note, my Mom was down to visit the past 2 days and when I was telling her about this, she said my grandfather, and a few uncles had been Freemasons, but she didn't know to what degree they attained, nor what Masons really believe, etc. She still has my grandfather's Freemason Bible she said.
    GRITS

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""I think it's because they say ANY Supreme Being is okay ""

Well, I have a feeling some here are not calling the Mason?s evil because of anti Christian views...

• jwsons
    jwsons

I couldn't see any picture all of you here talking about. Did they erase this page from their web ? Even google doesn't have cached. Why ?

jwsons

• talesin
    talesin

Above is the headstone above Russell's grave. Note that he was viewed as the seventh, or "Laodician Messenger" to the Churches (Revelation 3:14) The first six are listed as: St. Paul, St. John, Arius, Waldo, Wycliffe, Luther. (The Finished Mystery, Karatol edition, 1918, p. 64)

Watchtower's pyramid memorial, with cross and crown emblem and capstone. Note Russell's headstone in background.

Close-up of pyramid with cross and crown emblem, and "Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society" carved in stone.

"Risen with Christ" carved in stone on another side of the pyramid. Cross and crown emblem is on all four sides.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hmmmmm......"Risen with Christ"? I love that. It wasn't even 1918 yet! Doh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit