Why was Amnon (son of David) not put to death for raping his half-sister Tamar

by blondie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

It is amazing what comes up when I am researching.

I was thinking about the 2 witness rule

Amnon tricked his half-sister Tamar to be alone with him and then raped her. Tamar's full brother Absalom found out, it is implied by the WTS that there had not been 2 witnesses to the rape (hah!). Absalom did not forget how Amnon escaped the death penalty. Later Absalom carried out the punishment himself. The WTS has used this story to tell young female jws how they would be responsible if they allowed themselves to be fooled by non-jw men into a similar situation. But, Amnon was a member of her own religion and her half-brother as well.

The WTS dance around on this (the whole article is eye-opening and hypocritical, worth reading to learn how the WTS adds to the bible account.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101970491

Clearly Amnon’s end bears out the truth of the Scriptural principle as to the importance of guarding one’s heart. And Amnon’s failure in this regard also brought much grief to others, to lovely Tamar and doubtless also to her close acquaintances. It certainly brought grief to her father. But quite likely because of his own sin against Uriah in connection with Bath-sheba, David had not been able to bring himself to act against Amnon. With Amnon’s violent death the prophecy uttered by Nathan at the time of David’s great sin began to undergo fulfillment.—2 Sam. 12:10.

(So once again someone other than David paid greatly for his sin)

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Just like all religions, they are trying to make sense of their books and history that obviously bring shame to their principles.

• blondie
    blondie

Stephane, I was a jw for some time before the absurdity of this made an impact on me. I started being more observant when they used phrases like "quite likely."

I wonder if other posters had similar moment when reading the bible without the publications, or being made aware of those weasel words/phrases?

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

There are a million questions like this in the Bible. Like why did lot feel the need to procreate right after the cities were destroyed and so he just had to have sex with his daughters. Its a mind bender.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Well, for me, my first chocking revelation was when I was 10 or 11, at the book study group that was held in our own basement. While we were studying the "Revelation" book, the watchtower claimed that the prophecy concerning the trumpet blasts had been accomplished by conventions that they had organized in the 1900s. That was the first time I understood that the Watchtower could be wrong. And yet, I thought the bible to be infallible.

It was only 20 years or so later that I doubted the bible’s inspiration. There was a watchtower article that went over David and Bathsheba’s story and how God had punished them by killing their child. I heard the story hundreds of times before, but that day it struck a chord: What about David’s psalm 193:13 where he said god knit him in his mother’s womb? This verse is used by Christians over and over again to say that God loves us before we are even born and yet he killed that innocent child. What about that child’s relationship with God? Beside, this goes directly against Deuteronomy 24:16 that states that children are not to be put to death for their parent’s sin!

That passage opened a can of worms for me. I then re-read the bible with an attentive eye and started to see all the non-sense that Watchtower and other religions were white washing and explaining away with religious falsified reasoning.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

There are a million questions like this in the Bible. Like why did lot feel the need to procreate right after the cities were destroyed and so he just had to have sex with his daughters. Its a mind bender.

According to the account in the Bible his daughters tricked him by getting him really drunk on wine, but I was always curious as to how Lot could get so insanely drunk that he couldn't even remember that he had sex with one of his own daughters the night before and then turn around and do the EXACT same thing the very next night. I for one am a little hesitant to drink for a while after having a night that wild.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The Bible=Jewish mythology written by Jews, about Jews, for Jews! All the mysticism surrounding the Hebrew nation, it's history, and it's blood thirsty god is far more haunting and frightening than voodoo!

just saying!

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Rape was perfectly fine (for guys).

Concubines were sex slaves.

A rapist just had to marry the girl he raped.

Guys Fed who they wanted in the story book called the bible, with almost no punishment ever.

• waton
    waton

wt strategy?

I) prove the bible is true because of it's candor,

2) prep the r&f that if the same is exposed now, it will not alter the Messianic mission.

what a mess.

Concubines were sex slaves. Iwow:

David was denied the glory of building the temple, but a keeper of sex slaves was given that.

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

What stood out to me is that both the male names look Egyptian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit