Clapping

by Stefanie 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Thanks Blondie I was not seeing it like that. I forgot the WBTS accepts child molesters. I was just thinking of a friend who that happend to.

Sorry

• blondie
    blondie

No problem, Stefanie, worldlygirl, had another good scenario. But in general...

Forgiveness comes in its own way in each situation.

• Puternut
    Puternut

Clap on, Clap off the...... 'CLAPPER" It's not a custom anymore. But some just can't be overjoyed to clap, since many have know that df'd people had a long road to come back. So what' s the difference? Aren't you supposed to be happy when someone becomes your friend again? Perhaps the organization is not happy when you DO come back.

• rem
    rem

Wow, funny how certain topics bring back memories!

This is one of the things that got me questioning the Society. When my brother was reinstated, the rule was just passed, so the congregation was not supposed to clap. I wasn't at the meeting, but my family told me that they started clapping anyway.

The whole not-clapping thing really pissed me off and it seemed so unchristian to me.

rem

• loveis
    loveis

See KM Question Box of February 2000 (and the box on WT 10-1-98 page 17, quoted therein.)

• rem
    rem

:Well, imagine this scenario, your molestor is being reinstated and everyone claps?

Exactly the reason (among many) why such types of offenses should be made public. Clapping should not be compulsary. If people want to clap, fine. If not, fine. There shouldn't be a rule - that's not Christian. I have a feeling that not too many people would spontaneously clap for the reinstatement of a known child abuser.

Instead the Society takes everything down to the lowest common denominator. Let's just assume they're all child molesters! Ridiculous.

rem

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl
    Instead the Society takes everything down to the lowest common denominator. Let's just assume they're all child molesters! Ridiculous.

I don't really think this is what they are doing. Actually, I think the Society treats child molesters TOO well. Why should they be reinstated anyway? Sometimes it seems they are given more opportunity for redemption than say, (God forbid) a smoker.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Well in a move in an opposite direction, every time I read of someone here being DF'd or DA'd for apostacy, I clap.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Not an easy one -- there is more joy (clapping?) in heaven over 1 sinner that repents than the 99 that have no need of repentance -- but yes as blondie points out -- what if I had been molested by the reinstated one -- I think it would make me suicidal - and want to punch the reinstated one or shout out something -- no such thing as black and white --that is why virtually everything should be left to individual consciences and not stated in a WT or KM or Letter to Congregation.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Pretty unusual....A group which is run by old men which disaprove of clapping.

Usually men will clap even for the best belch. I have noticed since it was announced a few years back about ones clapping at conventions in former Russia for 30 minutes after the end of a convention that now everyone claps at the end of all the conventions here as well. I join right in because I'm so glad it's over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit