Clapping

by Stefanie 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

I thought I remembered it being a two folded thing. One it was a somber thing that one was disciplined and you don't reward a need for discipline and then also the reason given regarding consideration for parties who might have been hurt in the act that got them there.

I guess I could understand the not clapping. The shunning always bothered me more, crossing the street to avoid contact with you while dfd ..

• onintwo
    onintwo

What a soul-less, desolate group, .....this WT group! This definetly was one of the things that really bothered me about the religion. Did you ever go to a funeral/memorial service and see laughter? Did they ever let anyone other than the designated speaker come to the platform and relate stories/anecdotes about the person? NO!

Since leaving the WT, I have gone to "worldly" funerals and cried my eyes out for a person whom I didn't even know. (my new wife's grandmother). All of her friends and nieces and nephews, etc. got up and related anything and everything about her. Really made her live again, even if for only that brief moment in time. All maner of stories, some funny, some sad, ...all poignant. I laughed, as did others, when stories about her little peculiarities were related. Cried when someone talked about her generosity and caring. Made us all realize how much she'd be missed.

The Witnesses are a soul-less people. Everything must be planned and delivered by the designated speaker who is dutifully reading from an outline provided by our good friends in Brooklyn. Boy, don't ever deviate from the "appropriate" material and don't, what ever you do, improvise, wing it, or in some way show your individuality.

Weddings are similarly bland. Only with fancier clothes.

On a related topic, but along this same thread, I once asked an elder if I could bring things such as canned goods, food items, clothing, whatever and donate them? Could there be a place where poor persons within the congregation could simply go into a room and quietly help themselves? No paperwork, no meeting with a special committee, no nothing. If you're in need and it's there, avail yourself of it. Maybe escape with your dignity intact. But NO! He said he'd have to check, but he didn't think that the KH was for that purpose.

Oh, I forgot. The JW's talk about charitable works, but leave it up to others. Groups like the Salvation Army, United Way, etc. do all the heavy lifting when it comes to feeding the community. Or sheltering the community, or clothing the community. Then the JW's can point to the fact that maybe some of those resources that were donated went to some poor unfortunate UNWED mother and ain't that a shame! See, that's the world for ya!

Gosh, don't get me started. I'm spitting nails already. Thanks everyone for reading this long post. But God! I feel better.

Onintwo

• greven
    greven

Angels in heaven are cheering for every repenting sinner, yet witnesses are told not to clap. Also the prodigal son was mentioned. These people claim to follow the bible but thread upon the most beautifull examples of love and forgiveness.

Greven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit