Growing up in a divided household

by Strawberryfieldsforever 33 Replies latest jw friends

• dawn27
    dawn27

I have lived in a divided house at two times during my life.. My mom became a witness when I was 13 and my dad didn't until four years later. Then, my dad eventually saw the light and got out (about 5 years later) and my mom was still a pioneer. It did help me to see some of the hypocrisy, though. When one of your parents has never been a witness, you are under pressure to do everything right and be a "good example" and everyone puts their best foot forward. However, when one of your parents is disassociated, nobody invites you over and you are under pressure to not even speak to the "erring" parent. Talk about playing head games with a young persons mind. I am just glad that my dad always encouraged us to think for ourselves and that I had many normal childhood experiences before we ever heard of the witnesses. It helped me not to be affraid to leave when I saw the borg for what it was, because I had experienced life "outside" before I was a witness and knew that it wasn't as bad and "miserable" as the witnesses made it out to be. I do know now that my mom was just trying to do the best she could by us, too, and wanted us to live moral lives and have a religious upbringing. She was just, and still is, misled by people who she thought were our true friends and had our best interests in mind.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Welcome to the board Strawberry

• dustyb
    dustyb

if i wasn't raised in a divided household i wouldn't know anything but how to be a JW. its kinda wierd because my dad gave me all the freedom i wanted (even tho it came w/ other consequences ) and my mom was the JW that made every meeting and went out in service. I remember a member in the congregation coming up to me a few months ago and say, you know, with all the knowledge that you have, and you still find this the real truth, i'm amazed. i quit making every meeting after that one.

• John Vybiral
    John Vybiral

My family was divided, briefly united, then divided again, with the roles switched! Dad was a zealous, nearly obnoxious JW, who constantly harrassed my Mom to break with her family's Roman Catholisism. Eventually, she did, and got baptized as a JW, in secret! I still haven't fiqured that one out. So, for awhile, Mom & Dad were both JW's. Then, Dad got involved with our wife-swapping, American Nazi, family dentist, and fell in love with a "Christian" woman with whom he car-pooled to work. Soon, he was DF-ed, and attending a non-denominational Christian church with his new love. His wish was to "die in her arms at Armageddon". Eventually, Dad broke up with his new love, got re-instated, and finally hooked up with another ex-JW, got a "quickie" (Nevada) divorce from my Mom and married the ex-JW. My Mom remains a JW to this day. Somehow, I have managed to maintain a good relationship with both of them, and with my "new" step-Mom, who is a big supporter of Randy Watters.

What a crazy childhood !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit