If you were to design a new religion?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    Yes of course especially if you think the Bible is an interesting book that has at least some value

it does ! My driveway slopes downwards--a bible would make a good chock to stop my car rolling away.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    If you were to design a new religion?

I wouldn't.

Religion has caused enough problems in the world. If you want to take a Biblical view, it was 'religion' that gave Jesus such a bad time and then killed him.

I wouldn't stay in a cult like the Jobots, undercover, overcover or Wombling free.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

My religion, called Mustardtarians, is based an pastries and desserts. Three times a week, because the Lord commands us to never forsake the gathering of ourselves together, we meet to eat and sample many pastries, pies, desserts.

And there was much rejoicing...

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I'd support a version of JW LITE if it looked something like this ...

1. If it supported and encouraged the development of a person's Christian conscience.
    2. If it supported and encouraged personal Biblical research and free speech.
    3. If it had a minimal organizational structure, that wasn't a worshiped identity.
    4. If it moved the Governing Body and other Church leaders into the background.
    5. If the Governing Body clearly admitted being an accomplice in covering up past child abuse claims, with a solid commitment to directly report new child abuse reports to the police (regardless of being mandated or not).
    6. If the Governing Body clearly took responsibility teaching or procedural errors.
    7. If it 'taught' core Biblical truths, while it 'offered' explanations and interpretations for less solid Bible concepts.
    8. If it supported core biblical moral values (like no sex before marriage, non-heterosexual sexual activity, drunkenness or drug use).
    9. If it supported the basic nuclear family, by discouraging (not banning) divorce as a solution to marital problems.
    10. If it protected congregational members from those who practice serious sin, through a 'marking' arrangement rather than a 'disfellowshiping' arrangement.
    11. If it supported and encouraged a strong social congregations, through fellowship and real external outreach programs.
    12. If the Organization provided clear, open and fully transparent financial accountability, world wide.
    13. If it allowed people to exit the Faith without punishment or shaming.

and finally ...

14. If JW LITE didn't end up being some kind of emotion driven megachurch or arm waving evangelical movement.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I know that there are many people here that would be happy to see the Warwick and Paterson buildings on fire, along with all the closing of the rest of the world's churches and places of worship. But that fact is, it will never happen. Religion and along with it, its buildings and organizational structures has always been with mankind and always will be. I'd go as far as to to say that the act of worshiping God may even be genetic, of which there is some evidence. This being the case, wouldn't it be better to have religions that are benign, or better still, ones that act as forces of good in our communities? For me I'd say, yes?

So if we get back to the rather whimsical notion of a JW LITE religion, I think that if someone stripped away all the painful parts of the Society and build on what was good about it (of which I believe there is quite a lot), it could become something that people might want to join than rather leave.

For example, Jehovah's Witnesses are known world wide as being a honest and moral people. We do have a history of being a people who are willing to stand up for our beliefs, particularly as pacifists and ones who want the traditional family rolls to remain. And while smothered a little, we know that Jehovah's Witnesses respect the Bible and (on a individual level) do try to lead a spiritual life. These are not bad things.

Thus if the pain of disfellowshipping was removed the the Faith, if child abuse issues were correctly handled, if people could practice their own conscience (by going to university and the like), would not being a Jehovah's Witness be a good thing for some people? Once again ... I'd say yes!

However will a LITE version of Jehovah's Witnesses it appear? I'm not that hopeful, as it would go against every fiber of the current Governing Body. For them to loose control (to the degree required) would be a very, very hard pill to swallow. But stranger things have happened. Who would have guessed that the GB would remove the need to report field service hours? I wouldn't have. So perhaps there may be a little room for optimism, after all.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I believe there are many existing adherents to your new religion already.

I have a PIMO JW friend who calls every week. He belongs to this group "https://beroeans.net/ " They have Zoom meetings and STILL attend JW meetings!!!! Everyone "partakes." Some are current JW elders.

If you look at the last few years of JW "Partakers", especially in the third-world countries, I believe there is possibly already a "Shadow JW Religion".

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

No Zombie thanks for excellent post. I agree 100% and you articulated it so well. This new JW lite version could take all the good things and leave all the bad things but still remain in the congregation. Just ignore the shunning and the bad advice about further education ect ect.

Balaamsass as you say there are more JWs already doing this version of JW lite than most of us imagine.

Thanks for that link https://beroeans.net/ yes there already is a shadow JW lite version behind the scenes. Has been for years but this latest AGM has brought it to the surface. And most JWs haven’t even seen it yet, so just wait a few weeks when it’s on broadcast and it will be interesting to see what happens in the congregations.

My suggestion is this - We try to make it go viral that this new JW lite option means you can stay in the congregation but no more need to do field service unless you want to occasionally. You can live by Bible standards but ignore the GB shunning policies and openly say you don’t agree with the GB on this or that.

This AGM they have implied that even if you want to sit on the fence then that is ok because you can jump the right side of the fence last minute.

I’m not suggesting drawing attention to yourself in the congregation. You don’t want to stand out and keep getting called into the back room but even if that does happen you can refuse to speak to the elders. If they really push it you can now say you may be feeling suicidal if the elders keep on pushing you to talk with them please leave me alone.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    1. What the JW sect has become and is slowly becoming is far more near what I thought could be a good religion based on the Bible.

Repeat something over and over and people may accept it but there’s no way that the borg’s teachings are “bible based”.

Never forget that.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

there’s no way that the borg’s teachings are “bible based”.”

Ozzie the point of this new JWLITE is you take the good stuff and leave the bad stuff. Happy families, good friends, good association part of strong community. Always there for each other.

Staying in the congregation for the good people there. People you can trust to be there for you and you will be there for them in times of need.

I would add that having a hope based on the Bibles promises can be very comforting. I’m often going to hospital or peoples homes lately if one’s in need and I keep telling them the Bibles promises.

Maybe the Bible is just another book written by men or maybe there is more to it. But I find the Bible very beneficial and I find being in the congregation very beneficial and brings happiness.

From now on I will not follow direction from the GB because in their own words they are not inspired and they do get things wrong in doctrinal and organisational direction.

I will not follow the direction on shunning and from now on I will not be afraid to voice my opinions that maybe the GB are wrong about 1914 and many other issues

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Ozzie the point of this new JWLITE is you take the good stuff and leave the bad stuff. Happy families, good friends, good association part of strong community. Always there for each other.

And are the good friends and happy families really that?

No more exclusion zones? (“Disfellowshipping”)

Sounds good but I can’t help feeling disappointment is on the horizon.

I’ve found people who believe in the labor party for similar reasons but they have sure been disappointed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit