Solicitors Visit Update

by pale.emperor 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

In case you're not aware of my last two threads:

The situation that arose in that my mother has been having secret access to my daughter and refusing to tell me how she is: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5012900121935872/am-overreacting-here

The build up to my solicitors visit: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6284953638666240/solicitors-appontment-tomorrow-advice-appreciated

So i've just come back from my solicitors. One in the Albert Dock, Liverpool that specializes in family cases. Two female solicitors were there, one was an associate to the firm and the other a trainee.

They had in front of them some case files of Jehovah's Witness child cases.

I'd be here all day explaining all of it but the salient points are this:

• Unless a court order is in place, neither parent has more rights than the other when it comes to their child.
    • Judges are very cautious when dealing with religious organizations. People can believe whatever they like, the only way a judge would impose something is if the child is in danger or risk of harm.
    • Courts couldn't care less about parents squabbling, they will go with the best interests of the child.

I think we can all agree that those three points are fair and just?

It used to be the case years ago that they'd favor the mother, but nowadays neither parents has "rights". They have responsibilities. It's the child that has rights. Rights to be fed, clothed, looked after, protected etc.

They asked what concerns i have with my mother having access to my daughter. I brought a long:

To say they were surprised in an understatement. The poor trainee was visibly disturbed by the Armageddon picture.

I explained about the shunning and how it destroys families, that my mother is shunning me simply because i left the religion. And if my daughter became a JW then left she'd be shunned too.

After an hour and a half of explaining the situation and my options they said the best thing would be to the the following stages:

1. Make my point very clear to my ex that any contact our daughter has with my family is made through me alone. All she has to do is tell them "speak to pale.emperor".
    2. If that doesn't work, they'll write a strongly worded letter to my ex and my mum advising of the above and the intention to take the matter to court restricting their access entirely or imposing supervised visits.
    3. If that doesn't work, go to court and ask for supervised visits or restricted access. Also specify no religious instruction is to be given.
    4. If that doesn't work, court for full custody.

I seriously doubt it'd come to 3 or 4.

They asked why i left the religion. I explained about how controlling it is and the Australian Royal Commission. They were all ears. I explained about the Two Witness Rule and they looked confused and disgusted. I saw the trainee write down "Two witness rule" onto a yellow post-it. Let's hope they google the ARC.

But when i got out of there I called my ex to tell her of my legal standing and that the idea that she has more legal rights than me simply because she's the mother is in fact not true. That spooked her. After 45mins of her asking me "please, why cant they arrange visits with our daughter via me and not you?" and me refusing to budge on it she's relented and said if they ask her she'll tell them to get in touch with me instead.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Bloody brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now your ex-wife knows exactly where she stands - and she can give the good news (tm) to your mother.

Well done P.E.

• millie210
    millie210

Good work Pale!

You never were over reacting. You were reacting.

There will be many times in life you have to be your daughters advocate in one way or another. You have shown yourself more than equal to the task!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

nice one emperor. can i ask how you found out about that particular law practice ?

and--without wishing to appear rude--what did that appointment cost you? PM me if you prefer.

i would think it very useful to retain their details in case any other UK members need their services.

• cofty
    cofty

Excellent outcome.

It's important that a law firm specializing in family law are aware of these issues. Good work!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well done PE - excellent!

You brought up excellent examples of WT bias/abuse.

You did the best you could.

I don't know how your case will turn out but I hope the UK authorities see sense!

All the best

LUHE

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound
    Great progress, one step at a time.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Very good. Thank you very much for sharing!

I'll drink one tonight to celebrate for you ;-)

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

nice one emperor. can i ask how you found out about that particular law practice ?

and--without wishing to appear rude--what did that appointment cost you? PM me if you prefer.

I just googled "Family Law Liverpool" and picked the highest rated one on google. The initial consultation was actually free. They give you your options and you go away and think about it and if you want to take it further that's where the money comes in.

Fees were as follows:

Them writing a threatening letter - £175

Then it's £225 per hour the the associates services OR £125 per hour the the trainee to do it instead (who, i was assured was just as good and capable).

Court costs vary but are around £300 and there'd be a minimum of two court visits. So tot up two court visits PLUS lawyers hourly fee's and you may as well just give them your bank cards.

Yes, we're all in the wrong job!

• Giordano
    Giordano

As you have demonstrated in the past you are focused on your daughter's welfare and you are able to maintain a positive working relationship with your ex wife which is in the best interest of your daughter.

It sounds to me that the hostility of your ex in-laws is a typical overreach by badly informed JW's who think they have a higher truth that allows them to act on their pettiness and harsh feelings towards you without regard for the consequence's.....much like the WTBTS which is becoming notorious for breaking up families and child baptisum.

Tonight's Martini will be an air toast to your ongoing efforts to rewrite the realities of some of the idiots you have to deal with. To you and your daughter!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit