Infant Circumcision

by RAYZORBLADE 42 Replies latest social family

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I figured that this topic must come up from time to time; especially moreso over here in North America.

As some of you are well aware, I posted a lovely thread about the upcoming birth about my nephew.

I'M THRILLED about him, I simply just can't wait.

Anyways, having been born here in North America, specifically: Canada. Circumcision was common, if not all the rage in the 1950s, and 1960s and probably up until the 1970s. With national health care, you can bet that the medical profession saw many dollars with regards to foreskins (sorry for graphic remarks). I'm sure the year I was born: skin grafts were all the rage.

Many years later, here we are. We are living in much different times, and we are also living in enlightened times. So many myths related to infantile circumcision are being dismissed one after the other.

Geez, I wish to hell I had some say with regards to 'my bits' when I was a baby, but alas! my mother thought that what the doctor recommended, was 'best' for her son/s.

I come from a family of seven boys: we're all snipped. *ouch*

With the upcoming birth of my nephew, it was comforting to know, my brother will leave my nephew: intact. What a relief. If he (my nephew) decides to 'ammend' things, he can do so when he's a responsible adult.

Otherwise, he will remain, 100%.

I used to think it was an OK thing, but having done my stint in biology and nursing, now I feel quite differently.

Any thoughts, or comments.

IF, I had a son, I'd leave him as-is. Doubt that'll happen, but basically, I'm all for leaving our sons intact.

Rayzorblade

• badboy
    badboy

i t is supposed 2 reduce certain kinds of cancer.eg penile cancer.

• dh
    dh

not only is it better for health reasons but i've found that girls prefer it 'snipped'... something i discovered when i stopped being an infant!

dh'

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I chose to not circumcised Anthony ... but I've mess up I guess ... cause he had some troubles, cause it also depends on the size and the morphology of the penis.

In fact I've been told (before I lelf the nursery and even a few times by doc ) that theire Is something I've had to do to him on a regular bases that I never did (the doc will tell).

That means anyway more hygiene if you keep it 100 % Well ... better do it when he is a baby (still the pain / but not scared of the pain) and they know how to deal with pain now.

• Xena
    Xena

My ex and I went round and round on this issue when I was pregnant. I was against it and he was for it. After reading and researching I didn't feel it was necessary but he thought it might be an issue later and kept muttering something about boys wanting to look like their fathers ....anyways just glad I had a girl I guess and we didn't have to thrash it out after delivery!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Thanks everyone.

Honestly, even moreso, the 'mothers' on this forum: Frenchbabyface and Xena (I appreciate your opinions even moreso). But just the same, I appreciate any feedback.

As it stands, my nephew to be, will be intact, no snippy, and if he chooses (in adult years) to ammend his member, then he can do it himself.

Afterall, this is the way we are born, yes?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Razorblade,

very interesting topic and one that was hashed over by hubby and myself when we were expecting our first, back in the 70's.

Just to put to rest some of the wife?s tales out there and putting aside our "bible trained conscience?, *cough, cough* , the American Academy of Pediatrics made a statement in the late 70's about their opinion on routine circumcision in the USA. There is NO medical reason to routinely circumcise infant males. (If I were fully awake this am I would get you a site to review their statement, sorry, not awake enough) The USA is the only industrialized nation that routinely circumcises their males. All of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America don't do so routinely. There is NO increase incident of penile cancer in those countries. (Many studies have been done) Also, there is no increase incident of cervical cancer. Infant circumcision is cosmetic only.

So now the question is, do you want the son to look like the father or is there strong religious beliefs that circumcision needs to be done. Both of those statements are personal decisions only.

As far as my experience both as a mother (of two uncircumcised males) and a professional who performs circumcisions, I totally agree with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". One of our sons had a tight foreskin that I didn't know (before I was trained as a professional) needed to be gently stretched over the glands of the penis when he was little and while he was growing up. The best time to do this is during baths. So, unfortunately when he became sexually active, he did have some tearing of the foreskin. (Natural circumcision??) I have heard of no further problems. He did see an urologist about becoming circumcised and the fee would be $2,000. My other son has no problems with his foreskin; it slips behind the glands just fine. (So he tells me) I was much more conscientious about slipping the foreskins behind the glands when he was a baby.

I always like to compare doing routine circumcisions to "why don't we pull all our babies teeth to prevent tooth decay"! We teach our children good hygiene, especially routine brushing of their teeth. We can also teach them good hygiene with regard to their genitals, including girls. The natural accumulation of smigma in both males and females and thus cleansing of the genitals should be basic hygiene 101. But unfortunately, mankind has not progressed enough to discuss such things comfortably in many households.

So by now the burning question you may have for me, is why, since I have such a strong opinion against routine circumcision, do I perform the procedure? LOL, it all boils down to money. I gave up years ago trying to persuade people not to routinely circumcise their infant sons and now just educate them. I let them decide what they want to live with. (Of course showing videos of the procedure or allowing the father to watch is very persuasive. hehe) In the meantime, people are still demanding the procedure and it is easy money for a 5-minute procedure. I just try to pride myself in doing a gentle, quick job without too much trauma to the babies. I find strapping the infant down for the procedure more trauma than my cutting the foreskins. I use the tool most Mohel's use (wish I could offer the babies wine) and when I'm done, the babies are usually sleeping. But IMHO I still think it is barbaric and unnecessary as routine for infants.

Now if there are pathological problems, like anything else with our bodies, needs to be dealt with medically. A different subject entirely.

Hope this wasn't too much so early in the morning.

j2bf

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Joy2bfree: good post.

You are right. I do think, it does boil down to the money.

It used to be covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Policy, but then it was delisted in the early 1990s.

What was once free, became a minor operation of about: $275.00 CDN.

Now, I think it's more than that.

If for nothing more, the cost alone would make me think twice about my skin graft contribution. Eek!

But seriously, given our modern world, and hygiene, there is more problems related to unwashed hands than there ever was with our unwashed 'unmentionables'.

What do we come into contact more often on a daily basis?

< hands

Anyways, I appreciate the posts on this thread. Thank you.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

"$275.00 CDN."

I need to move to Canada!

When I was in a busy practice, it was nothing to do 3-5 circs each day. Think about it , its all about the money. $$$

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

No, Joy, it was just VERY interesting. We opted to have Jackson circumcised and now wonder if we did the "right" thing. His best friend, who was not circumcised when he was little, just recently had to have it done, which was very painful and traumatic for him (probably for the reasons you mentioned -- I think he was getting a lot of infections or something). Probably if we had a do-over, we'd leave him au natural.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit