Political Discussions

by Heatmiser 60 Replies latest social current

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Six -

Many people think that allegiance to/love for the president is somehow patriotic and synonymous with love of country. They are of course wrong, in that if the president is hurting the country, then allegiance to/love for him is anything but patriotic. For whatever reason, these people had no trouble understanding this when Clinton was president.

Sorry, Dude! I'm not going there with you! However, I'm going to give you an "A" for effort. My resolve needs a little exercising now and then - thanks for the workout!

growedup

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

If you want to keep friends they say two things you should never talk about, religion and politics. Maybe we can avoid political topics but on a site like this I think it is hard to avoid religious topics. We are all adults here we can discuss things and agree to disagree, thats what freedon of speach is all about.

Will

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    No. You ahve had your posting limit lowered because you have persistently insulted me

Simon the only insult that I will claim that was directed towards you was the joke I made several days ago. You had made mention that the US seems to keep losing it's friends and I said that this sounded like a forum owner I know. I then put up a little winky smilie to show that this was intended to be a joke. If I were to think I'd be censored for that then maybe I should have shown you how capable of insults I can really be. <----- note smilie

I've mentioned this in PM but perhaps you know of other insults I've sent your way? I don't recall any.

I would think that you'd appreciate the fact that I haven't joined one of those I Hate Simon sites and participated there only to come back and beg your forgiveness only again to get booted. I've been consistent and I believe respectful. The joke I made was more directed towards all those who begun new websites because of their dislike of you. I've visited them, found them to be silly and didn't play.

Simon do you think that telling me I'm not capable of participating in an intelligent political conversationis insulting? Do you believe I would reduce your posting limits because of that insult? If so then you really don't know me at all.

Maybe we can avoid political topics

Will I certainly can avoid them and for the past couple of months I've avoided most of them.

It's a shame that so many of us, after belonging to an organization which didn't allow diverse opinions, still find a need to shout down the opposition. Both sides are guilty of this here. I've been to many sites where both sides discuss politics. That doesn't happen here. Maybe it's the dub thing.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

A quick word about propaganda:

When the Soviet Union existed, the Communist regime utilized propaganda tactics to keep the masses in accord with the Red Machine.

A prime example was their newspaper, Pravda. Know what the word "Pravda" means in Russian? It means: "The Truth".

Sound familiar??

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

With the election coming up, I think we need to make sure that the forum isn't taken over by politics so if anyone is thinking of campaigning on the forum, please think again.

Oooooooooh! Maybe I should campaign! I could even put out a soundtrack to promote my musical abilities. "Nosferatu's songs of Political Power". It would most likely be a punk rock album :D

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    With the election coming up, I think we need to make sure that the forum isn't taken over by politics so if anyone is thinking of campaigning on the forum, please think again.

Well, gosh darn it !!! And I was planning to run for dictator of some West African country, too....

Nos, you're not getting those millions of $$$ I have hidden away in those trunks for saying that.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I hear Valis' campaign theme is: 40 acres of Pot for Every Chicken, and no mules needed!

allgrowedup, my pleasure!

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    I hear Valis' campaign theme is: 40 acres of Pot for Every Chicken, and no mules needed!

Oh god I just wet myself...Sixy could you ever fall in love with an incontinent woman?

• Aztec
    Aztec

I was cracking up at a few of your posts. *shakes head and clears out cobwebs*

When it comes to political debate there are only a few things I really dislike:

1) Biased news articles. For every biased right-wing article posted I could find another one saying the exact opposite. I don't think either are completely accurate.

2) Snide comments cloaked as humor. Serious debate has little room for sarcastic potshots.

What I would like to see more of: (the rules according to Carrie)

1) Opinions offered without having to quote twelve news sources. (Yes, I'm exaggerating) I enjoy hearing people's honest opinions on issue's. We've come along way since our indoctrination from a cult and it's time we valued our opinion. Constantly relying on others opinions to validate our own is not entirely healthy.

2) Serious consideration of what others have to say. I have moderated myself to somewhat of a middle of the road Libertarian since I began posting here. I've enjoyed learning from others and I hope to learn more. No, Expat, if you are lurking, I'm not about to become a total conservative and I don't give much credence to what Churchill said about turning 30. How old was he when he said that? 70?

I think political debate is a good thing on this site. When, and if, we become too emotional about an issue we should be able to take ourselves out of the discussion. It's good for ex-witnesses to be able to do something they were not able to do as a witness: express their opinion openly.

~Aztec

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Six -

allgrowedup, my pleasure!

I'm going throught the DT's right now, man! Could we put off the next work-out for a bit?!!

Simon,

Perhaps what might help is if we had a clear definition of what you consider to be "political drivel." I know others have alluded to the fact that this is a relative term, and I would have to say that I agree. I can say with all honesty that I've tried very, very hard to post in a respectable manner in political threads - and have even gone so far as to make sure whoever I am debating with knows that I mean no disrespect. However, I have a feeling gnawing at me that says that perhaps what I said in the most respectful words I could come up with were considered "political drivel", when I know in my heart and mind that they were not intended to be such.

Simon, this is your board - you set the rules. As I said in another thread, the Terms of Use do not guarantee us a democracy here, and if we don't like it, we can go somewhere else. You do this because you want to, not because you owe it to us. I believe that those who are on this board really love it here - we don't want to go anywhere else, or we would already have left! But I think we need to know that if political threads are still going to be allowed here, we need you to define what is acceptable and what isn't - in black and white terms so things don't come to this again. For example, something along the lines of "no neo-con statements" doesn't explain the rules because what can be deemed a "neo-con statement" by one, wouldn't necessarily be by others - and this could potentially jeopardize the status of posters who truly mean no harm. I believed at one time that simply stating the rule of "being respectful of one another" would suffice - but I've gone all out to be respectful, and have still been misinterpreted. Therefore, in my humble and respectful opinion, I think it does boil down to political beliefs. And if you want to say that there will be no conservative or right-wing political views expressed on this board, then you have every right to say so - because it is your board. You are not running for President - it doesn't matter if your decisions are politically popular. But it matters to me - and I believe others with conservative viewpoints - that if we are not allowed to express our political viewpoints, that we are at least made aware of the rule so we are sure to keep from unknowingly jeopardizing our status on this board.

growedup

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit