Political Discussions

by Heatmiser 60 Replies latest social current

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    For instance, you see cynicism rear it's ugly head often (it's actually on this very thread, if you look closely).

Hey, I was just reading Six.

>>lowering my ugly head<<

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I could smell you coming, you cynical bastard!!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Sixo : All the progress(*) in this world has come about because people, WORLDLY people, took action. They took political action, humanitarian action, self-improvement action.

(*) or regress

• wednesday
    wednesday

Shari,

totally agree, i happen to support Bush, but I do listen to other views. But i feel it is wrong to call one side propaganda , just b/c it is not your political view.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Very valid points here, all of them.

Just a word though if you don't mind. Overtly patriotic American politics are quite tedious to the Brit psyche after a while. America, after all, is a foreign country to us. Remember please that we root for the redcoats and despise Mel Gibsons selling out the English twice in his films. We also like the Union Jack much more than the Stars and Stripes. We love you Yanks dearly, but please don't expect a Brit site owner to allow overt (that bloody word again!) right-wing American patriotism to run riot on his site.

It's just not cricket.

Englishman.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    (*) or regress

lol. I suppose so. My point is about progress because there has been, w/o doubt, more progress than regress in this modern world.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Mike, that's fine, but isn't it better to not allow any political threads than just the ones the brits agree with?

I for one believe that we all have a right to our personal opinions, but........ if I were a host on a forum and I posted my political views. I wouldn't get bent out of shape when others, who's views are different than mine post theirs.

I dislike Bush, but I don't get angry because others do like him. IMHO Presidents are just front men. It's congress who runs the country. Bush, Clinton, etc are just their patsies.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

I agree with Wednesday 100 percent!

i happen to support Bush, but I do listen to other views. But i feel it is wrong to call one side propaganda , just b/c it is not your political view.

Just to make sure this gets read, I copied this from another thread. I think it is important to wipe the slate clean, and I want to do just that --

Me, four! I love my President and I love my country, even if others may view him/us as self-serving imperialists! However, after the last very heated thread, I came to realize that no one is going to change my mind - much anyway - and I'm not going to change anyone else's mind. Since I've got enough aggravation in my life without voluntarily subscribing to more, it's time for me to stay out of these threads! (Anyone know of a good 12-step program to help with that?!) I don't want to tick anyone off, but I can see that the fastest way to do just that is to get in my two cents worth. Sure, I don't upset the conservatives (much), but I do the liberals (without fail!). Yet, I happen to actually LIKE everyone here, so why do something that makes some angry?

So, Yeru, I hope you don't mind if I chime in here, but I would also like to apologize for participating in political polarization (there's a tongue twister) on this board! I came here to make friends, not enemies. I hope I can be forgiven as well.

(that's supposed to be an olive branch!)

growedup

growedup
  • Englishman
    Englishman

Shari,

Of course you are right. I do personally believe that you can't take part in a thread and moderate it as well, particularly if that thread involves politics. It's not to do with what Brits believe in though, Simon and I are 2 Brits who believe in 2 totally different viewpoints.

My comments were just to try to show the other side of the coin, so that we might not expect too much of non-Americans. Personally, I see no reason why we can't discuss things, even in an unusually lively manner perhaps, and still stay civil to one another. It does seem though, that the more patriotic one is about one's own country - whichever that country happens to be - the less one cares about peoples feelings generally. Politeness seems to go right out of the window when excess patriotism is being displayed.

Yeah, I know, I've done it too.

Englishman.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    but please don't expect a Brit site owner to allow overt (that bloody word again!) right-wing American patriotism to run riot on his site.

No of course not Mike but the Brit owner of this Brit site allows anything left wing to run forever and even starts his own proproganda threads with only his views allowed. I've had my posting privledges reduced only because I have polar political views and because I might insult Simon. Is it fair? Of course not but as I said in a locked thread no one is changing anyones mind here and the thread Simon posted late last night was intended to insult right wingers and to stir the already overstirred political pot here.

I have not seen a single intelligent political debate on this forum mainly because it isn't allowed. It's one way or the highway. I don't participate in any of them any longer. I won't. It's gotten beyond stupid.

Simon you should examine yourself. You are every bit as guilty as Yeru is. Both of you have posted threads intended to insult. Your Iraqi scientist thread was a prime example.

OK, do your worse........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit