The Feb1st WT article minimus was talking about - scans

by dmouse 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Incredible. My impression when I read WT literature on this site, after nearly 18 years, is that it is even worse than before: I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It's apparent that the writers don't even bother to look up the Bible texts they quote in their context, and that they don't expect their readers to do so.

What is most obvious in the N.T. eschatological texts is their contradictions. In some texts (e.g. 2 Timothy 3) the evil in the world is supposed to be a sign of the end, in other texts (e.g. 1 Thessalonians 5) there is definitely no sign and the end comes unexpected, as a thief, when everything seems to be all right (hence the "peace and security", which is everything but a "sign"). The synoptic eschatological discourse is a very peculiar mix-up of both scenarii (you will see wars, earthquakes... but it is not the end yet). And 1 Thessalonians 5 is directly contradicted by (probably post-pauline) 2 Thessalonians 2 (the end is NOT for now, because the great evil hasn't come yet). Modern-day fundamentalists use verses from every kind of text to build their own scenarii, not realizing that the only common point of these texts is the evidence they give for the false expectations of early christianity...

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

DMouse:

Thank you for temporarily decorating my monitor with pure, unadulterated pigshit. Articles such as this one are a useful reminder of why I left and why I will never return to such fetid vomit.

Expatbrit

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

What has happened to the UN in all of this? Paragraph 12 mentions the "International Year of Peace" in 1986. This was promoted by the UN but there is no mention. The word politicians is uded but I thought diplomats engage in the peace process.

In paragrapgh 14 the "kings of the Earth" turn on "Babylon the Great." But what will unite all the nations to do this? Evidently not the UN as afterall, many NGOs from various religions provide support to the UN by promoting the work and objectives of the UN.

Thirdson

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

The footnote on how to reach 607 bce is that the Bible states that the jews were held for 70 years and releasd in 537 bce. so, subtract 70 years and you get 607. Where exactly does it say that they were held for 70 years. I know that there is a prophesy that states that the nations will be held in subjection to Babylon for 70 years, but nothing about the jews being held captive. double speak, double speak, sidestep, sidestep, strawman to the rescue.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks for posting this.

What makes me laugh is their assertions that everything is so bad. They say we have "soaring crime rates", "plummeting moral values", "mounting drug abuse"....etc. Well I'd like to know where? How "soaring"? Are there any areas where the crime rate has diminished? Have drug campaigns helped to lower drug abuse problems in certain places? How do we measure everyone's "plummeting moral values"?

Its all bullsh*t - they have no proof and don't even bother to try to show statistics. They're trying to tell us that everything is so bad, worse than its ever been, which we all know isn't factual either. I'm so happy to be living now instead of 100 years ago!

Sirona

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

What do they mean in paragraph 4 that Christians don't overly concern themselves with the identity of the performers when that is exactly what the society does?

• observador
    observador

I found interesting this piece:

By and large, his propaganda has succeeded, for people remain optimistic in spite of mounting evidence that conditions are going from bad to worse.

First of all, they seem to codemn people for being optimistic. It's no wonder why the typical JW has a gloomy view of things. But most of all they forget the reasons why people are optimistic. Ironically these reasons can be found in the very first paragraph:

There is, for example, the progess that has been made in medical science. Thanks to research in that field, the average life expectancy in some lands has increased from under 50 years at the beginning of the 20th century to well over 70 years today! Think, too, of the ways in which we have benefited from... all of which have improved life for millions.

Simply amazing! (shaking head...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit