Some Things Just Dont Add Up, How Did We Miss This???

by pale.emperor 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Some things i just didnt notice at the time which now seem so obvious:

The bible tells us that the end will come like a thief in the night, when we least expect it. (Matthew 24:44)

Yes the JWs are told to "Keep in expectation!" (WT Aug 2015)... so by expecting it, they're actually delaying it.

Women in the bible are never regarded as anything more than something to have sex with or something to sell.

Let her breasts satisfy* you at all times. Proverbs 5:19

“If two men get into a fight with each other and the wife of the one intervenes to protect her husband from the one striking him and she reaches out her hand and grabs hold of him by his private parts, 12 you must amputate her hand. You* should not feel sorry. - Deut 25:11-12

Here are my virgin daughter and this man’s concubine. Let me bring them out, and you can humiliate them if you must.*+ But you must not commit this disgraceful act toward this man.” 25 But the men refused to listen to him, so the man grabbed hold of his concubine+ and brought her outside to them. They raped her and abused her all night long until the morning. Then they sent her away at the break of dawn. - Judges 19:24-25

(Why any woman would have respect for the bible baffles me).

The heart of the understanding one acquires knowledge,+And the ear of the wise seeks to find knowledge. - Proverbs 18:15

Yet the Watchtower Society strongly discourages higher education. Awake! Oct 2015 even said this:

Take steps to find employment. Use the time you would have been working to apply for jobs. A caution: Some people would tell you to “follow your dreams” when it comes to a career. But looking for your ‘dream career’ likely will narrow your options for work and blind you to employment opportunities that are right in front of you! Rather than waste time focusing on a particular type of work, keep your options open. Remember, more important than what you do is becoming proficient at what you do. In fact, it has been observed that the more experience and skill workers acquire, the more they enjoy their work. You don’t have to do what you love in order to love what you do! [emphasis mine]

The so-called demon possessed people in the New Testament are very clearly suffering from mental illness or epilepsy. People back then wouldn't have known about mental illness. The Jews believed that sin causes people to become sick, the ancient Greeks thought that the gods influence human behavior.

There's no mention in the bible of the Americas, North or South poles, Australasia or Northern Europe. You'd think an all knowing God would inform his people of this, and most likely want to speak to and guide those people too.

Every miracle in the bible apparently took place in a relatively small part of the world. From Egypt to Italy, and Iraq to Turkey.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Excellent points! Thanks. When you take off the Watchtower Goggles, all becomes clear!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    (Why any woman would have respect for the bible baffles me).

Personally I hated the way men acted towards me in that religion and who can blame their misogyny with scriptures like that condoning rape. I thought Jehovah would explain it all to me in the new world but instead it was Darwin.

• Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

These points are things that have made me doubt God and the bible. It of course doesn't end with the bad treatment of women, but also multiple atrocities (including genocide) in the Bible that are hard to deal with.

Despite this I have somehow stayed religious, even venturing into apologetics for a while, but these things still bother me. Maybe it is my JW programmed fear that keeps me trying...

I remember going to a watchtower study after trying to deal with some of these issues, and the topic was the "impartiality of Jehovah", and I was extremely distraught trying to bring these topics together and still stay sane....

• sir82
    sir82

Women in the bible are never regarded as anything more than something to have sex with or something to sell.

Not true!

Sometimes they get to a pound metal stake thru someone's head.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    I thought Jehovah would explain it all to me in the new world but instead it was Darwin.

If I ever print my book of exJW quotes this ones going on the front cover Xanthippe!!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Adding my 2 cents

Lot was seduced by his daughters to produce offspring. Genesis 19: 30-38

Women, who cannot prove their virginity in their marriage bed, should be stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 22:13-21)

Lot offers his daughters to be raped by perverted men. (Genesis 19: 8 )

If a man rapes a woman he can give 50 shekels to the girl’s father and marry her. (Deuteronomy 22: 28)

Despite the above humiliation(And many more), women are the larger army in JWs and Christendom.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Religions ingnore any passage from the Bible that puts them or their special book in a bad light. Anyone who has really read or studied the Bible know it's just a book with a bunch of crazy stories in it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    If I ever print my book of exJW quotes this ones going on the front cover Xanthippe!!

Thanks! You must send me a copy!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PALE.EMPEROR:

Yeah, a lot of things never sat well with me either....It was also a turnoff to see how women were treated in the Bible and in the JW religion.

But, I knew I had to look out for myself and I let a lot of the religion's nonsense go in one ear and out the other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit