Anyone watching Star Trek Discovery?

by Coded Logic 41 Replies latest social entertainment

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

So I've been watching the show and really enjoying it. Great to see a Trek TV series finally get a reasonable budget. Beautiful costumes, sets, cinematography, action pieces, etc.

Really my only complaints are how CG all the ships look and there's a fair bit of stiff dialog from time to time.

What do you guys think of the show?

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

I can't find it on my tv shop it mustn't be on in the uk. I'd have watched it otherwise

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Total crap and nothing like Star Trek at all! Roddenberry would be turning in his grave!

There are so many things wrong with it:

• Supposed to be original timeline but the ship is way more advanced than the NCC-1701 even though it is set BEFORE The Original Series.
    • The Klingons: what on earth?!!! In that timeline they should look like humans. Even if the series powers-that-be wanted them to look like they were originally (before their genetic mutations, explained in ST:Enterprise), then they should look at "Worf" or any of the original series films.
    • Swearing. Really? In a Star Trek Series? And the "F bomb" at that!
    • A continued storyline instead of individual or isolated stories.
    • Way too much violence and very little storyline.

If you watch "Discovery" as a separate entity, having nothing to do with with the Star Trek universe except the name, then it's watchable if there's nothing else on, in my opinion.

For a decent Star Trek series (one that holds with Roddenberry's ideals) then I'd recommend "Star Trek Continues". It stars James Doohan's son as Scotty and also includes some guest stars from the original series. Only 11 episodes but even Roddenberry's son said that his dad would have classed it as canon:

http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Worldwide it is only on Netflix outside of the USA

OK it is not star trek, but it is

Do not think TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager or Enterprise (great series) this needs to be seperated in your mind, this is really a restart for NEW generations, if I try a relate Discovery with those I mentioned it's crap, but it's not, in it's own right it is a very good series & could very well be one of the greatest scifi stories ever. Out of 1 to 10, 10 being the best I give it 15.

It takes a bit of getting used to it, it grows on you, concepts are amazing & the have a gay couple in it.

If you read the Star Trek books gay couples have been in the franchise for sometime.

By the way I grow up watching star trek right from the TOS, loved every episode ever produced, I love it all.

A little bit of Star Trek helped me wake up from my slumber in the jw world.

Just finished watching episode 13 on Netflix here in Australia, up your's foxtel your time of death is near

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Have not seen it because I don't want to pay for it. Like finallysomepride I was watching star trek from the beginning and have enjoyed them all. My wife and I have meant some of the stars. We got to spend a whole day with George T. Back in 1976 at a comic book/star trek convention. There was hardly anyone there because it was a new idea to have these type of conventions. Sorry I don't know how to spell his last name. He was very nice person, we even talk about how the first movie he said was in the works. He just kind of bum around with us all day because of the small crowd.

Here's a question has anyone gone to the star trek hotel in Vegas when it was open in the late 90's and early 200's? They had what was called the star trek experience. I went on that experience and I swear there was moments I thought I was on the real ship Enterprise. I will just wait for Discovery when it comes out on DVD's or whatever they call them now.☺☺☺ Still Totally ADD

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

OK for you xJWs in the USA Star Trek Discovery is on CBS All Access, not Netflix, here is the link

STAR TREK DISCOVERY

I believe they have a free trial period, give it a try, you will love it

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

@Still

George Takei

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride
    There are so many things wrong with it:

Stop looking for them, then you might enjoy it, look forward, honor the past

Swearing. Really? In a Star Trek Series? And the "F bomb" at that!

WTFuck are you for real, and you use the Father Ted pic for avatar, go listen to that show very carefully will you Father Dick Burns.

and why is FRACK in Battlestar Galactica any different

Roddenberry would be turning in his grave!

Really how would you know that? tell me I would like to know

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

@Still

No never been to Vegas, but I did go to the Star Trek experience in Wellington New Zealand in 1999, at the Te Papa Museum, enjoyed it very much

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

@AverageJoe1

Don't take it as a personal attack on you, I respect your views

http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Have watched it, it's ok for an amateur show, had lots of promise but...............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit