What’s the big deal with birthday cake?

by Addison0998 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

77 you just showed everyone what a happy, loving organization the cult is. As a born-ins I feel your pain damn if don't and damn if you do. No matter what you do you always come up smelling like shit. Such happy memories. Weeeeeeee Still Totally ADD

• scotsman
    scotsman

When I was still on speaking terms with my brother I left a cake with candles in his house for his 40th, while he was at the meeting. He wouldn’t light the candles but he ate all the cake. He was the PO.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

What amazes me is how most JW will send a congrats card when a baby is born (yes, to celebrate the day of its birth) but then then refuse to celebrate every other consecutive birthday.

Plus some even have baby showers. If that’s not “bringing undue attention to / glorifying the individual” (or whatever the official GB phrase is for not celebrating birthdays) then I don’t know what is.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    AverrageJoe1 - "... If that’s not 'bringing undue attention to / glorifying the individual' (or whatever the official GB phrase is for not celebrating birthdays) then I don’t know what is."

Ultimately, the ban on birthdays (or whatever) was never really about that.

It was about further socially isolating members from non-member friends and family.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Vidiot: It was about further socially isolating members from non-member friends and family.

Ultimately, the ban on birthdays (or whatever) was never really about that.

It was about spending money on "non-Kingdom" interests. Don't buy birthday presents (or xmas presents). Send that money to the WTS/org

It is always about the money. Always. That is how the org measures their relationship with their god.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Was allowed to save the cake or candy until the next day and then it was fair game. I was an adult before I had fresh birthday cake hahahahaha stupid bastards

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

OrphanCrow - I agree that the WTS is a money hungry organization but I think the Vidiot's point about socially isolation from non-JWs is really the reason. It does feed into money though. By socially isolating JWs from non-JW family and friends, they tighten their control (cult 101). More control ultimately leads to more money.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I am at work and can't look up anything but didn't the first century Christians eat meat that had been used by pagans for worship after it was sold in the markets? I recall it was OK since there was no worship involved with it after the fact.

Someone here can help me.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit