did you ever miss the memorial?

by freelife 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

The memorial last spring (2003) was my last meeting ever. I'd been missing a few meetings, and everybody was so cold to me that night. I felt really unwelcome. So I left as soon as it was over and went to my honey's house to watch tv and kiss. Next spring, I'll stay home and spend time with my loved ones; much better use of my time, anyway.

• barbar
    barbar

Yes I once missed it. It was about 14 years ago and my son was in hospital, I left the hospital to make my way to the KH that was about 10 minutes walk from the hospital. I had asked a nurse where it was but couldn't find it, so I then asked a cab driver where the KH was. His directions sounded OK, but I walked over an hour in all directions and never found the hall.

As I was a good JW I desperately did not want to miss the memorial and was really praying for the whole time that I would find the hall. The fact that I never made it depsite trying my hardest and praying for direction really shook my faith and was one of thre reasons I ended up leaving. I realised that God did not answer prayers (or he was not there) even when what we were trying to do was serve him.

• DocBob
    DocBob

The last one I attended was in 1996. I haven't missed them at all ;-)

• blondie
    blondie

We missed our first one this year at the KH after 47 years.. We did observe the occasion with red wine and matzoh and partook at home. We read each Gospel account out loud from 2 translations (not the NWT). No singing though. It was the first time I really felt I understood it was all about.--Blondie

(Disclaimer: I recognize that others make other choices. I'm in no position to judge and don't)

• wildfire
    wildfire

WELL LETS SEE ,,,I DID MISS MY FIRST MEMORIAL LAST APRIL,,, BECAUSE MY GOOD (WORLDLY FRIEND ) WAS TAKING HER GOOD--LOOKING NEPHEW OUT FOR HIS 29TH BIRTHDAY. ,,,,AND OF COURSE I COULDN'T RESIST OR PASS THIS UP,,, SO WE ALL WENT OUT AND HAD A GREAT TIME.......DID I FEEL GUILTY ....( A LITTLE,,,, ) BUT I GOT OVER IT..... AS WITH EVERY THING ASSOCIATED WITH THE BORG.....ONE DAY AT A TIME.... ONE VICTORY,,, BABY STEPPIN,,,,,, IT CAN BE DONE......SHALOM ALL ,,,,, I LOVE YOU ALL..... MY TRUE FRIENDS.......

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes. I missed the Memorial this year for the very first time, as far as I can remember. I hadn't really planned to go anyway, because I left the Witnesses for good a year ago last June, but my dad tearfully begged me to go, and I was wavering until I found out there had been a Kingdom Ministry part about getting inactive ones to go to Memorial and that made me pretty mad so I decided not to go. Then, a few weeks before Memorial, my dad committed suicide, so any lingering doubts about not going were quickly dispelled. I spent the evening at home, looking at a beautiful, huge, serene full moon hanging over my backyard, and I reflected quietly on Memorials I have attended in the past, the great talks my dad gave, what the Memorial always meant to me, and the many blessings in my life, including the blessing of freedom from the Witnesses. It was a bittersweet evening with no regrets.

Nina

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I did miss the Memorial from 1997-2000 but did attend from 2001-2003 again. Does that answer your question?

It was good to see the brothers and sisters again.

Scoob

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I never did, until I decided to leave. Yes, I watched the plates and glasses go by about 25 times.

My husband missed one Memorial in the 25 years he was associated. It may have been the one after he was disfellowshipped - I can't remember. He was DF'd in '85 and reinstated a couple years later, so he attended one memorial in his DF'd state, poor zealot....

Oh, he's not a zealot now. He's much better

GentlyFeral

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Went for 30 years straight.Missed the last two years.

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I have missed every year for the past four years. I don't see the point in people making hoopla over attending the memorial when you don't even go to a regular meeting at the hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit