Beards, can someone explain?

by Satans little helper 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Can someone give me a sensible explaination as to why the JW's have banned beards? I was DF'd in '90 just as this was becoming a big deal and at the time I thought it was completely rediculous what with Jesus probably having a beard. It was one of the many things that led me to seeing that the GB make arbitrary rules and that the organisation has more to do with control than religion.

• blondie
    blondie

There is no sensible explanation. If you want a insensible one, do a search on beards.

Maybe it's because Santa has a beard.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

A little research and it becomes a good conclusion J.F. Rutherford banned beards so people would forget about C.T. Russell. You gotta remember Rutherford was strangling control from people Russell apointed to be the new leaders when Russell died. History acurately shows that was the exact moment when beards disappeared from Watchtower pictures. Later it became a good excuse to shave so no JW would look like a hippie in the 1960-1980s. In the 1990s the Watchtower again had to face this problem as many including myself pointed out the failed logic in continuing to shave especially when so many professional people now had beards. I believe this is still a bitter pill for many young people.

• jgnat
    jgnat

...because Russell sported a full beard and Rutherford needed to exorcise the ghosts (Russell) and establish himself as fully in charge of the organization. There is no biblical justification for clean-shaven men.

Politics. JW men shave because of politics and history.

• gumby
    gumby
    '90 just as this was becoming a big deal

This was a "big deal" loooooooooong BEFORE 1990.

As was mentioned......clean shaven faces were expected from Rutherford forward.

The society explanation on this is much as the Mormons. A clean shaven face is more presentable, and overall proper for a servant of the lord. They feel a clean shaven face, leaves no room for a wrong impression by anyone who does not feel comfortable with one. This is also a 'circumsision' for them in a sense. It sets them apart from others as a "cleaner" group.

Gumby.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Gumby, you reminded me of a historical side-note from China:

Qing Dynasty

Although China's new rulers quickly learned Chinese culture and presented themselves as Confucian sages, they did impose one aspect of Manchu culture onto the entire Chinese male population. As a sign of submission to Manchu rule, the dynasty required all males to wear their hair in Manchu style. This style differed markedly from Chinese style and required shaving some hair at the top of the forehead and allowing the rest to grow into a long braided ponytail. In English, this hair style is commonly called the *queue.* It is easy to identify pictures and photographs from the Qing period because men will inevitably have queues during this dynasty but not before or after. Because wearing the queue was a political act, cutting it was one way to make an anti-Manchu political statement--a statement punishable by death during Qing times. (#graphic image#--very graphic; warning: not pleasant)

http://www3.la.psu.edu/textbooks/PM-China/ch10_main.htm

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    why the JW's have banned beards?

There is not an outright ban on beards although they are discouraged. There is at least one in my wifes congo. Bearded men are not usually used in "Positions of responsibility" , although local custom is taken into account and congs can vary in their approach.

The reasononing , in my recollection , stems from the 60's when the G/B thought that they looked like hippies, although it is clearly a case where those in power can make the rules according to their own preferences

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Let's hope the Watchtower never decides to behead men for not shaving. Yikes what a thought.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I thought it was completely rediculous what with Jesus probably having a beard.

If Jesus jumped off a cliff, would you also do it? ;)

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I has to do with the fact that beards have pagan origins.

When we observe depictions of ancient Babylonian gods, many have beards. Those that were involved in pagan worship, offering children as sacrifices, erecting poles for sex worship and related offenses also wore beards. We have all seen numerous pictures in the publications that show these facts.

There is nothing in the Bible that indicates that Adam had a beard. As a perfect human, there was no need for one. But as sin spread throughout the earth, pagans adopted the desire for beards.

So, obviously, sincere Christians do not adopt practices connected with unpure worship.

***** Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit