Carpal Tunnel

by SanFranciscoJim 22 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Sorry to hear this, SFJim. Have you looked into alternative keyboard designs? (I'm not sure if they really help prevent carpal tunnel though.) Check out this funky thing:

http://www.datahand.com/products/default.htm

Or I wonder if switching to a Dvorak keyboard would make enough of a difference. Of course the learning curve would be unpleasant...

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    Have you looked into alternative keyboard designs?

I am a self-taught typist. I type with the index and middle finger of my right hand only (almost 60 wpm!). I've tried those ergonomic keyboards, and have found that it slows my typing down by almost 75%.

I purchased a pair of gloves especially made for carpal tunnel and slept with the right glove on last night. It seemed to help considerably.

Thank you all for your support, suggestions, and kindness.

To those who sent me PMs, I'll get around to answering later today or tomorrow.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

SFJ, the advice about Vitamin B-6 and the wrist brace or support is the best....I'd try those before agreeing to surgery....my daughter has carpal tunnel syndrome (computer techie)....Vitamin B-6 relieved the symptoms to a great extent and the wrist support helps to prevent the pain of flareups when she's online.

Frannie B

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I type with the index and middle finger of my right hand only (almost 60 wpm!).

60wpm with only two fingers?

Do you think that typing style may have actually hastened the onset of carpal tunnel?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

They've been reported in the news here as potential terrorists targets.

Be careful.

***** Rub a Dub

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    I type with the index and middle finger of my right hand only (almost 60 wpm!).

60wpm with only two fingers?

Do you think that typing style may have actually hastened the onset of carpal tunnel?

Like I said, I'm self-taught. I've been typing this way for over 35 years. When I worked in the shipping industry, my coworkers used to crowd around my desk just to watch me type. They couldn't believe it!

As to whether my typing style might have hastened the onset of the carpal tunnel, it's a possibility, since it is only affecting my right arm. (Don't tell me to learn to type left-handed -- it will never happen!)

They've been reported in the news here as potential terrorists targets.

Be careful.

Who has? People with carpal tunnel? People who type with only two fingers?
  • Prudence
    Prudence

((( SFJ, )))

I purchased a pair of gloves especially made for carpal tunnel and slept with the right glove on last night. It seemed to help considerably

I'm so glad you found something that helps give you relief !

Prudence

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

60 WPM with only two fingers, I must say that's amazing. And ergonomics would do no good with a two fingered style that's for sure. Too bad, it's done a lot ot help me.

Maybe some kind of support pad to rest your arm on when you type?

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Jim

I also know of a lot of people who have had great success with the surgery.

I also know a couple people who had some help by an "Osteopath"..

There is a software program where you dictate your words into a small microphone and then the computer types everything up for you, that might be worth looking into.

and by the way..

have a merry Christmas jim

Any luck in selling your house in Nova Scotia?

sincerely

Special K

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

See a Certified Hand Therapist or Occupational Therapist. Hope you feel better soon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit