Carpal Tunnel

by SanFranciscoJim 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

The current issue of Massage Magazine has an assessment article on CTS this month. You can see it online:

http://www.massagemag.com/2004/issue107/assess107.htm

although you probably have all of this info by now...

Hope you're feeling better.

Odrade

• nowisee
    nowisee

i have had bi-lateral cts for about l8 years, bilateral dequervennes syndrome for about 5-6, and increasing arthritis over the years - all possible occupational hazards for me. so far i have managed all 3 conditions without undue use of meds or surgery.

for cts i recommend B6, splinting at night (and during the day as well if this helps), icing after any use of the hands -- you can get specific wrist pads in the drug store which can be frozen and then worn -- very effective. paying attention to what aggravates it is important, and avoiding if possible those things, or at least experimenting with any possible adjustments.

i have also had cortisone shots - twice in each wrist - with longlasting results. after the last shots the doctor was talking surgery if the pain came back. i was so depressed when it did.

coincidentally, at about the same time i was last being treated for my wrists, i also was being treated for a heal spur with vioxx, after about a month on the vioxx - everything cleared up - all wrist and hand pain was gone, as well as heel pain. so now i am painfree and meds free. i don't recommend long-term vioxx, but i would certainly give it a try before surgery. now i just take the B6 - splint every night and ice when necessary.

hope these suggestions help. good luck!

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Everyone's suggestions have been immensely helpful.

I went to see my doctor on the 30th, and he has confirmed that I do have carpal tunnel, though he says mine is a mild form, and I am definitely not a candidate for surgery. He suggested I continue wearing the glove at night, which seems to have been helping. We also discussed my work station at length, and he suspects that I do not have sufficient support on my arm because of the way I type. He suggested I build a padded support for the entire arm, because most of the damage seems to be occurring between my wrist and elbow. This is where my arm hangs when I am operating my mouse.

So, off to the drug store to get the B6, and will continue the doctor's suggestions to see if the condition improves.

Again, I am grateful to everyone for their posts and PMs. Happy New Year all !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit