The coldness of Watchtowerism thread

by Brummie 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Yes the org seems to be quite a cold place. They put so much emphasis on meeting attendance,field service,commenting at the meetings etc, but what about stuff like love,affection,kindness etc?

Bangalore

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Hard to believe this is 5 years later, but ya, they did the same thing to my grandmother. The Hall she was attending was having MAJOR mold issues - they even set up huge industrial fans in the entryway to try and deal with the problem.

Anyhow, she was having such health issues from it, she decided to go to another Hall. Before she left, she gave a large donation to the congregation, like she usually did several times a year. (Incidentally, the Hall was built without approval from the RBC, therefore the Society would do nothing about the mold problems.)

When she left, 2 elders tried to intimidate her into going back, ....I can't even describe to you all the scare tactics they used on an 80 year old woman. She's no idiot, tho, and knew what they were doing. Absolutely shameful and I will never forgive them for the lack of sleep they caused her.

She knew it was all about MONEY! She was a big contributor and they couldn't afford to lose her, as they had done the build with out permission from the Big Cheeses and now were experiencing a boatload of S**T. The Hall was built in a sinkhole, the parking lot was like 20 feet above the Hall....No kidding they had mold problems....In BC.

Retards.

Cold, money-grubbing retards.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Brumm was a good guy. I miss him.

Hope he's doing all right out in the Real World.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I have a very similar story to Brummie's when my father died. I have never seen a colder group of people than the JWs. Everyone becomes that way if you listen to what they listen to 5 times a week. There's no way to stay warm and loving in that environment. They are a bunch of robots.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Be careful what you ask for - I could go on and on and on.

First let me say that your experience might finally explain why whenever I gave sympathy cards to other JWs they would all be shocked. For the longest time I couldn't figure it out. I now know that they weren't used to getting support from JWs so it was a surprise when someone like me came along and thought enough to give them a card. But it still makes no sense to me. I was not raised a JW. I was not taught by my family to write such cards. It was from reading the WT and Awake! that I learned that it was the proper thing to do! So why don't more JWs do it???

I had a horrific loss myself and and shortly thereafter moved to another city. I was still deep in grief, which had been made worse by lack of support. I kept reading articles in the WT about how if something is bothering you that you should talk to a "mature" Christian about it. Well, in the new congregation there was a couple that had been considered for circuit work. I figured, how much more "mature" could you get than that. I confided to the sister about my loss and how I was having a difficult time with it and with the lack of support I had gotten from the congregation I had moved from. Nothing. I let a few weeks go by, thinking maybe she was taking some time to think how best to comfort me. Nothing. I approached her and told her that it had taken a lot of courage for me to share something so personal and devestating with her and how hurtful it was that she never reached out to help after I made it clear that it was others' lack of support that had made it worse to begin with. What did she say? She said that she has never been the kind of person to be a close friend to others in that way. She went as far as to tell me that her own daughter grew up feeling neglected by her parents because they were too busy with theocratic activities to attend to her needs. Well, if the woman can't show love to her own daughter, what chance did I have of getting it? And yet this is the type of people I was constantly faced with as a JW. Someone please tell me- just where are those loving JWs I had always read about in the WT and Awake! I'd really like to know.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The Watchtower has made an art of switching off people's emotion chips for want a better phrase. They are cold and callous.

• designs
    designs

The Society really missed/messed up the whole social connection that should be part of any religious community.

Nixing congregation picnics, control of weddings and parties, demonizing social outings in general or a least always putting them in a bad light like everyone was going to go out and build a golden calf. Well the leadership got the religion they wanted.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Careful. Watchtower apologists will wag their fingers at you about how "full of hate" you are.

• Gordy
    Gordy

(((Brummie and mother)))

Brummie sorry to hear about what happened. But many of us exJWs are not surprised.

It was the totally lack of love and suppport, at a time my family and I needed it, that set me on the road out. After being a JW at the time for 25 years, and believing in "Jehovahs loving organisation"

I had attemted suicide, diagnosed with "acute clinical depression" , spent weeks in psychiatric hospital.
    What did they do. Held a Judicial Committee, privately reproved, removed as a Min Servant.
    Counsel on how to get over this the usual cure-all they give "attend meetings and go on field service"

Six months on and I'm not showing any signs of "improvement" they get my wife to make me leave the family home, because I was a "spiritual danger" to the family. Even had to attend another congregation.

This as I said set me on road to leaving, after 3 years, and a lot of research, I stopped attending meetings, then another 2 years I DA'd.
    Incidentally in all this time I never had a single visit by any Elder.

That was 2001, my JW wife and two JW daughters have not spoken to me since.
    This June one of those daughters got married I was not invited to the wedding, though I could sit at the back as long as I was "discreet", not allowed to attend reception though.

I use my personal experience and those of others when I speak to people about JWs.
    Because many people just think of JWs as those "nice people" who knock on their doors etc.
    It needs to be made known the darker side of this organisation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit