Just received Crisis of Conscience!!

by acsot 82 Replies latest jw friends

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

You aren't a JW? Then what are you doing here? Go away.

CZAR

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Seriously, though, if you're worried about lining is pockets, then get it from the library.

Would you believe that's what I did, and for that very reason? In fact, I didn't even want to have the book in my house... so I didn't check it out, I just read it at the library.

After I finished reading it, I went online and bought a copy.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yeah, we got it from the library too. But it's on the list to buy soon...

O

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

There are certain advantages to buying a copy over reading it at the library. One is that many libraries only have the first version, whereas there are a few noteworthy and relevant additions (mostly at the end of chapters, it seems) in the newer versions. The one I have is copyright 2002, so it mentions some very recent developments.

The other advantage to owning it is that you have it on hand to loan to people when they desperately need it.

SNG

• skiz
    skiz

It's been about a year and a half since I read it

I'm sure different people are affected strongly by different concepts

The point that really hit me hard was reading the August 15, 1998 Watchtower subtitle "Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly" that's on page 138 in the 4th Edition

After reading that part I had to actually set down the book and walk off my anger for a while before I could start reading again

If you break down the sentences in that Watchtower article one at a time, it will strike you how incredibly manipulative and dishonest the BOrg can be

It doesn't get much worse than that article

David

• acsot
    acsot

I can't put the book down - but then I get so damn angry at the blatant cruelty of those old men deciding life and death or intimate sexual matters for people with absolutely no thought as to the consequences of their actions! It makes me sick to think of how many good, sincere people have suffered all kinds of mental anguish because of the insanity of that group of old farts.

The one thing that bugs me about Ray Franz though is that he seems to feel that the only "genuine" reason for leaving the WTS is to follow Christ through personal Bible reading. Well, after I did some personal Bible reading in other translations, I realized that the Bible was about as true as Aesop's fables, and following Jesus makes about as much sense as following Aesop. There are kernels of truth in the stories they told, but that's about it.

It seems that after discovering freedom from the WTS, many go back to needing someone else to follow, so they choose the Bible Jesus. But the problem with that is that you have to get back into the "I'm a sinful human" thinking mode and needing forgiveness for your sins, etc. Sorry, but my agnosticism is much more liberating.

Sorry Ray, but I think that many who left the WTS did so for "genuine" reasons that have nothing to do with wanting to follow Jesus. They just want to be themselves.

However, I'm only on page 67, so I reserve the right to change my mind about how I'm interpreting Ray's position . I won't change my mind, however, in feeling that Ray is one of the bravest and principled men around.

• AlanB
    AlanB

Interesting thread. I only read it a few months ago and I have been out for about 10 years now. Even then it had a profound affect on me. After reading it I remember thinking, "So it was just another religion". Suddenly the whole thing made sense. So in a sense it did break the remaining links I did not think I had.

Interesting comments about Ray still being a Christian, well I guess like many of us Ray found his own way, I know some of us have remained Christian, some became agnostic, some become Pagan's and others like myself like to read about it all and form our own ideas. I did find though that after the WT I did have some very anti Christian attitudes, however since reading CoC, I find these have gone, its almost as if I have managed to disconnect my feeling towards the WT with Christianity.

I have not read 'Christian Freedom', I was put off by the title, thought it may be a bit religious, what is it like?

A

• undercover
    undercover

I have not read CoC as of yet. I've seen enough evidence through the WTs own pages to see the hypocrisy. But, after so many here have recommended it and have given so many glowing reviews, I ordered it yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting it and reading it. Now if I can figure out a way to get the wife to read it.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Like the WTS gives all of theirs away to charity

Lol good response! They have a nack of sidestepping the multie millions the organisation make and attack a genuine guy who has made hardly any profit. Just like the pharassies huh. The fact that Ray franz gave 60 years of his life to the Watchtower and made no money and isnt qualified to make a wage is irrelevant to these nuts.

I have not read 'Christian Freedom', I was put off by the title, thought it may be a bit religious, what is it like?

AlanB, its very good. It addresses issues that most of us x's are left dealing with. I'd recommend it, perhaps its not one that can be read right through at once but its a good reference book. He does a great job refuting the blood, the door to door, other sheep, mind control, etc..and he doesnt try to convert anyone

Brummie

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ac

It's intersting to see your feedback while using franz' book to sweep out the remaining wt crumbles

Alan

You are right about his second book. In it he expounds on certain christian doctrine, the way he sees them. I guess it's alright for those who want to slip into christianity.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit