Research question

by JeffT 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Syme
    Syme

Wow, great topic-trip down memory lane. Alright, prepare to enter THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

-In my country, couples traditionally have some sort of wedding crowns put on them by the priest during the religious wedding ceremony. So, a such couple of relatives who had later converted to jws, accommodated one day my mother and her sister to their home, days after their baptisms. Both my mother and aunt supposedly witnessed demonic attacks during the night. Pain chests, unable to breath etc. I suppose it was some sort of night-terror or something; but they curiously witnessed it both, at least allegedly. Anyway, they searched the next day for anything in the house that could have had demonic influence, and they determined that the only such item left from the days before jw conversion would have been the wedding crowns. After they got rid of it, they supposedly weren't 'attacked' again.

-A magic charm my grandfather was given at his wedding day. He was told that if he destroyed that talisman he would die. He was not a jw then. Back in that day, rural villages were filled with superstition and amateur charmers. According to him, that charm caused him great physical pains and corroded his marriage. 20 to 25 years forward, when we was Bible studying, when they reached the part in the book about getting rid of any charms and stuff, he was afraid to destroy it. With the help of his teacher, they tried first to burn it, but it wouldn't burn. In the end, they managed to break it to pieces. After that, his pains ended supposedly.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What is the craziest thing you heard a witness say was demonized - the theory of evolution.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    heard a witness say was demonized - the theory of evolution.

Ha! I remember an elderette giving a WT comment one Sunday saying something like "At schools of higher education, they teach things like evolution....or evil - lution as I like to call it...[insert dramatic pause and self-indulgent grin]"

I think she was disappointed that people didn't burst in a spontaneous standing ovation at her "cleverness".

• IWant2Leave
    IWant2Leave

A sister in Illinois pulled the hood latch while driving on the interstate, thinking it was the emergency brake. The hood popped up and broke the windshield and bent the hood. Her father who was an elder, blamed it on Satan and the demons!

Sounds in the attic were attributed to demons. Turns out it was cats running around and making sounds like a crying baby!

One sister had chronic back problems. A couple of "elderettes" went by to do really what amounted to an exorcism. The two "elderettes" were sure that it must be demons. The problem persisted so a couple of elders went by to pray with the sister. It turned out that the cushion/discs between her vertebra were bulging.

It's interesting that JW's say to call on Jehovah to expel demons. In the Bible, Jesus disciples expelled them in the name of Jesus. I told a sister that when one of her Bible students supposedly was having trouble with demons, and she looked at me like I was crazy.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I remember the story of a smurf walking down the aisle of a kingdom hall. Does anyone remember that?

Yes, when I was still allowed to post on J.W.Talk there was a Witness who insisted this was true.. The story was well known even over here.A sister I knew said she had taken the toy away from her toddler and her behaviour showed a marked improvement.

Any form of entertainment that they dislike can be dismissed as demonic. An old elder, now dead, used to say it about Michael Jackson. I have heard it said of Harry Potter films ....... mind you a lot of them love Star Wars .....

• IWant2Leave
    IWant2Leave

Check out Kevin McFree's Dubtown on YouTube, Season 1 episodes 26 & 27 are about demons. They are hilarious but so true. I miss Kevin's videos!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Sis X bought some things from a Christiian Charity store and when she bought those things home, her dog barked violently at those things. She got rid of those "Demon possessed" things and her dog calmed down.

When I was turning an Apostate, I bought the "Crisis of Conscience book". My JW spouse reported this to the elders who came witch hunting on me. I was told to destroy that book - Shred into pieces so that nobody reads it again. I handed it over to my spouse who destroyed it.

I have some fancy color serial lights at home . Whenever JWs visit my wife, she hides it. Jehovah is not happy with those colorful serial lights, which are used for CHristmas.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    JeffT - "What is the craziest thing you heard a witness say was demonized?"

The 80s Transformers cartoon.

Seriously.

On a related note, I lost count of how many times an uber-Witness labeled information they didn't like as "worldy wisdom".

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

A salt shaker, purchased from a garage sale.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I almost forgot...

...this little guy:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit