Scriptures That Bothered You as a JW Kid.

by Sea Breeze 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Ephesians 6:4: "And you, fathers, do not be irritating your children, but go on bringing them up in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah."

In their newer 2013 version of their Bible the harsh term 'mental regulating' has been removed and replaced with the softer, loving wording 'admonition'. But way too late...damage is already done to the poor JW youth!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    Ecclesiastes 11:1 says, “Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days”

The more I thought about it the less sense it made.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    PPete - Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days

No thanks. It'll be sopping wet if the ducks haven't eaten it.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Rattigan,

yes, that is the old “I don’t like that scripture so make it symbolic” trick.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Yep, the "loving creator" scriptures adults loved to repeat to kids.

A bear tearing up kids for saying "old baldy".....

Sassy kids getting stoned to death at the city gates...

Punishment upon the third generation for adult screw-ups...

Made me feel warm and fuzzy about god.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It's hard to beat the vengeful hate expressed in Psalm 137:9

Blessed is the one who grabs your little children and smashes them against a rock.

Picture singing that one at church.

• cofty
    cofty

You know that bit where god makes Adam and Eve and then they sin and then we all die and then Jesus dies and then god isn't angry with us anymore? That bit.

• Biahi
    Biahi

The scripture in (Corinthians) I think, which talks about holidays, and whether you celebrate them or not, you should be “fully convinced in your own mind.” Lol, my mind told me that Christmas and birthdays should be celebrated if we want to. I knew I was not allowed to ask. 🙄

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

That one about the bloke that tried to steady the ark of the covenant

Or when that pillar of righteousness David took a census, and instead of paying the penalty himself 70,000 innocent people died.

Why does this description of the future Paradise limit it to just "for a while"?

Because after a while the wolf will kill and eat the kid.

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Genesis 11:16 - 19: "Pe'Leg." I always wondered if the guy ever became potty-trained at any point during his 209 years of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit