Avoiding Temptation As a Young Elder

by TMS 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Bloody hormones!

On a slightly different note, you were an elder before you turned 24 years old ? I remember how we used to slang off at the Mormon "elders", who were only in their early 20s, and thus too young to meet the Bible's qualifications for being an elder. Talk about people who live in glass houses being ill-advised to start throwing stones.

• TMS
    TMS

@Rivergang,

In 1970, when I was 21, the Watchtower Society sent me 1200 miles from my home to become the Presiding Overseer or Congregation Servant in Arkansas. The elder arrangment didn't kick in until 1972 and I was appointed an elder on the first go round.

My new situation was filled with land mines. The former Congregation Servant had been disfellowshipped and the Circuit Overseer had recommended a 55 year old man with overseer experience as the replacement. He was serving in that capacity when I pulled into town.

The older man, bitter at his being passed over, attempted to undermine me at every juncture. Cronie es of the disfellowshipped man pressured me to reinstate the child-molesting former elder as soon as possible.

Having lived on my own since the age of 16, I had some life experience and tried to always think thing through clearly. I'm not embarrassed by any of my decision-making.

I did not "throw stones."

I'm 74 now and still gaining life experience, but no longer a JW.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Hi TMS,

I wasn’t accusing you of figuratively throwing stones, and apologise if I gave that impression.

It was the JWs in general I was referring to, when they are wont to criticise the LDS for appointing very young men as elders.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi TMS, I enjoyed your original post. You have a PM.

Len

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah as a pioneer I studied with a young boy who's mom was hot she left the truth for a boyfriend. She was very nice to me one time I was let in by her son and she had got out of the shower with a skimpy towel on..we both giggled as she stood there. It was more sexy then awkward!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't know if it is an age thing that kicks in men who are over 70, but I have been musing on a good number of instances when I was offered sex with attractive young JW women, I refused in every instance, because similar to the O.P I was married to a loyal woman , and I believed in loyalty to her in return.

It was hard sometimes, in both meanings of the word !

The bullet I really missed was the girl who looking back wanted not just sex, but to wreck my marriage and have me as her husband, she had obviously calculated the Divorces (she was married too) and the possible DFing as being worth it, but she was a Witch, and may have worked out how to do it and come up smelling vaguely of roses. Because not much later she did that, got "scripturally" divorced some how, and then married a guy, a much younger JW, who had been single until then.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah she stood there half naked alittle tooo long instead of going into the bedroom. I had to do alot of praying 🙏 to Jah for my thoughts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit