Should "Merry Christmas" Be Replaced With "Happy Holidays"?

by Kenneson 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Smooches Panda....and Merry Christmas!

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl
    We say "Merry Christmas" because the holiday is called "Christmas." The days surrounding the holiday are called "Christmastime." Get it?

Amen. Why should those of us who celebrate Christmas change what we call it for the sake of those who don't want to celebrate it. Should we stop singing the National Anthem at ballgames because a few Jehovah's Witnesses are offended? Hell no. Let 'em stay home.

• ChimChim
    ChimChim

I think merry christmas is better than happy holidays because happy holidays can mean any holiday of the year and Merry christmas directs it to mean christmas(not sure if that makes sense... didn't in my mind kinda confused me..lol) Yeah, I think we should keep Merry Christmas!

C.C

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I prefer HAPPY HAPPY CHRISTMAS

• ChimChim
    ChimChim

LoL, I never heard any one say that one b4 Its cute!!!!!!!!!!!

C.C

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I noticed when I buy X-mas wrapping paper I don't get anything remotely connected with religion, not even angels.

I am the same way. I looked for a CD of Christmas music last week, that didn't have any religious songs on them, and found several. I bought a roll of Christmas paper through my grandchildren's school this year, and discovered it does have some cartoony angels on it, so I used it to wrap gifts for my one of my sons and his family, who are church goers.

When we bought Christmas ornaments and decorations, Dave said "no angels, no Jesus".

I think Merry Christmas is more American. I hear the Brits and other Canadians saying Happy Christmas more often.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    When we bought Christmas ornaments and decorations, Dave said "no angels, no Jesus".

Yeah.. I didn't put anything too religous oriented on my tree either. I bought snowfakes, snowmen, etc.

I guess I also am calling this time of year Holidays, because my bf who is Muslim actually makes a bigger deal out of the New Year. We will really exchange gifts more on New Years than on Christmas..although I did insist on a gift for him and it is under the tree... I told him think of it as a winter present.. (since he doesn't celebrate Christmas)

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Chim Chim, Mulan: I got it from Harry Potter and LOVE the expression

• JH
    JH

How about a Happy Christmas and a Merry New year.

• SheilaM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit