Reasons for concluding that Watchtower is in (serious) financial trouble

by slimboyfat 151 Replies latest members private

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

that would be really radical of them to start an wholesale sale of all KH's, I wouldn't put it past them though, meeting in the homes of the R&F is forbidden now, what a change could be around the corner, where the hell would they meet though circuit assembly halls? it would completely destroy the fabric of the organisation they created.

• pimojw
    pimojw

there was a real push a couple of years ago to appoint more and more sfts (special full time servants). special pioneers, temporary specials, field missionaries (not having been to gilead but given the status). each branch was given a quota of those 3 categories, and they were told off for not filling the quotas! all of a sudden...screech to a halt! rather than filling the quotas, they were drastically reduced and cuts made.

the same thing happened with building. branches were given massive budgets for the new ldc work, then it was all stopped.

mismanagement. they havent got a clue what they are doing

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

48 graduates from Gilead in the 143rf class.

Number sent out as missionaries to new fields: 0

Number sent back to where they came from to carry on what they were already doing: 48

News of which graduation was so important that JW broadcasting had to be cancelled for two months while limited resources were diverted to translating the graduation talks.

• flipper
    flipper

PIMOJW- Your statement, " the same thing happened with building. Branches were given massive budgets for the new Ldc work, then it was all stopped . Mismanagement . They haven't got a clue what they are doing. " BINGO !

As I mentioned on another thread this morning by The Scotsman- WT Society HAD to stop construction as they went default on some construction loans on the east coast with a huge financial institution , one of the big banks. Thus they were blacklisted and refused any more construction loans. So no wonder they are selling kingdom halls like they're going out of style ! Because WT Society is in full tilt downsizing mode man. It's all financial hands on deck right now ! Save the WT Titanic ! lol

• Magnum
    Magnum
    slimboyfat:
    48 graduates from Gilead in the 143rf class.
    Number sent out as missionaries to new fields: 0
    Number sent back to where they came from to carry on what they were already doing: 48

That, to me, is very significant. I believe the JW higher-ups want to give the impression that everything's still the same - that Gilead is still going strong, etc. - however, they know things aren't the same. It seems that one or both of the following is/are true:

1) The org is having financial problems.

2) The org realizes it was/is doctrinally/theologically wrong, and is now just interested in money and not the field work, so it doesn't want to spend money on missionaries.

In the older days when it seemed that the leaders really believed the end was close, they sent out missionaries to foreign fields as if they really cared about the field and believed in the work. Now, it seems that the higher-ups don't really care about the field.

• Londo111
    Londo111

No more balsam in Gilead....

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I cant say that i dont think they believe anymore but for certain the finical reality has bitten them hard. I bet that gilead means something to them as braging rights and keeping it open as a continuing streak is important. They made a switch so that graduates dont cost them money anymore... they keep the name and braging rights and dont have to support any new fulltime bodies. Just logical cost cutting.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Great OP. Thank you Slim.

My two cents:

1. They lie about their financial position at CAs, or at least state it in a deceptive way. I caught on years ago that the "deficit" was only for the money taken in at that particular assembly, and that the money in savings was not counted... Anyway, one of my few, very few, things that I caught as a JW. So, they lie about money, especially needing it.

2. The COs in the 90s saying that the society is running in a deficit reminded me of the Smurf rumors and 1975 talks at conventions. Those rumors were not stopped, and we know how much WT controls what JWs say. I heard the Smurf dramatized story from a CO wife and Gilead graduate of Knorr's day. No one chastised her. I believe they sanction rumors and talks at conventions to get people to do what they want. Isn't there a term for it? It seems like a narcissistic personality disorder type thing. They are doing this with the begging for money. EDIT: This shows how they will send out or endorse false rumors like needing money in the 90s, but we of course can't be sure because their books are closed.

3. Sure the old generation is dying. They also miss their dead loved ones, have too much invested in the cult, and are being approached by elders to donate their estate to wt. Many are. See #4747 on youtube confessing to doing it years ago. BTW he is a sweetheart.

4. The society brags that it plans ten years into the future because they're not stupid. I'm awake and cannot remember how the dumb argument goes. But, I believe the begging for money is not for now, but to save up for a generation from now.

5. I personally heard an elder talk about the special, there's that word again, campaign to nursing homes. I'm sure we all can guess why. If you can't, it is to convert old people and get their estate. If you are an old man, stick with the gold diggers, its gotta be more fun.

IDK, but I fear they read this discussion and laugh. I hope not. Edit: Damn I wish Franz talked about the money.

Also, we are seeing the GB less and less. Are they tip toeing there way to their golden parachute???

I love the post, but I just do not understand why some of us believe WT when it comes to numbers of members and money, but nothing else. That being said, what they do, like send gilead graduates home, is telling. I still think they are just saving money for more of a rainy day. Cos it's a comin'!!!

Have a great day everyone!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

A recent video said there's been 8000 graduates of Gilead since it began. Even assuming that many of them have died, left their assignments through circumstances, or defected, that still means they are financially supporting thousands of missionaries around the world. No wonder it got too much, adding another 100 or so each year. Interesting that this cut was made in 2011 well before the apparent crisis in 2015.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

It was in 2012 though that they sold 20 branch offices around the world off

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit