Reasons for concluding that Watchtower is in (serious) financial trouble

by slimboyfat 151 Replies latest members private

• Londo111
    Londo111

Steve2 mentioned Ray Franz. I don’t believe he was tight-lipped about the organization’s finances. The Governing Body and Watchtower is siloed into committees. Ray was in the Writing Department. He wasn’t part of the committees or departments that delved into the financial side.

Besides any intell he had on the matter would be nearly 40 years old now. So much has changed, both in the Watchtower and in the world.

• Londo111
    Londo111

How many on the Governing Body have the education or business experience to manage the finances of the Organization? Many of them were missionaries, circuit and district overseers, ect…

I wonder how much they truly can follow of what their advisors and consultants tell them. No matter…they are soon to be raptured, then they can help carry out apocalyptic genocide on Earth’s billions of inhabitants. I wonder if they take any financial woes as a sign that their rapture is immanent. Their philosophy may be, “Let’s just kick the can a little down the road. Armageddon will take care of it.”

• sparky1
    sparky1

Thank you Morpheus. I do realize that 'technically' the members of the Governing Body do not hold 'legal' corporate positions as far as any 'worldly' governments are concerned. However, in reality, they control the WHOLE SHOW both financially and religious 'dogma' wise. That is why I spoke of them as being 'corporate' officers all rolled into one entity. As you probably know, nothing major gets done in this religion without the final approval of the '7 Popes', as it were.

• LV101
    LV101

For sure they have outside financiers along with CPAs advising them on every turn. The men in power of the cult aren't that stupid and are too busy playing mouthpiece for god. They can't do their serious litigation/trial work and accounting, PR, business management without real professionals for the important tasks. It would be interesting to see their expenses on these professional, monthly, retainers. Drop in the bucket for tax free business.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Absolutetly sparky and i agree

• waton
    waton
    for sure they have outside financiers along with CPAs advising them on every turn. The men in power of the cult aren't that stupid and are too busy playing mouthpiece for god

But unlike Prez Trump, these top men are unlikely have the power of choice and be able to fire those expert decision makers/helpers.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

Locally, two congregations , using the same KH, have merged back into one after separating over 20 years ago. In recent months the new congregation has submitted plans to demolish the KH, built 1982, and build a new one roughly same size and same capacity.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Fisherman -"WT never claimed to be broke."

No, that was the OP that claimed to have evidence of WT being in "serious finacial trouble."You know, the thread I'm commenting on 😮 wakey wakey, keep up fisherman.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I think WT's finances can be summed up best in the words of Arnold Swartzengger.

"IT'S NOT A TUMOR!"

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

(Double post)

Magnum thank you for this and for your post on my earlier thread. Comparing JWs to a biological (or ecological) system in crisis is an interesting idea. Perhaps David Voas was ahead of his time when he suggested JWs may experience collapse similar to the kind of collapse shoals of fish may experience when they reach a limit.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/172862/british-sociologist-predicts-possible-collapse-jehovahs-witness-numbers

The idea of systems collapse more generally is interesting to apply to JWs. I've long been fascinated by books such as "The Collapse of Complex Societies" by Jospeh Tainter, and "Collpase" by Jared Diamond. Often such collapses don't have a single cause, but are the result of the various crises compounding one another. Which certainly rings true of JWs' current situation as they face credibility problems, scandals, declining and aging membership, financial problems, leadership problems, on and on. All of the factors compounding one another, possibly to the point of existential crisis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit