Lack of Joy

by Gorb 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorb
    Gorb

Because of some respect for family members, we visited the memorial today.

A moment I always think, could I go back into this religion?

We entered the hall and some said a short hello. And with short I say short. Most of them said nothing. A few beards and no sisters in business fashion.

This year our conclusion was the lack of joy of the local witnesses. They are old, or looked old, sad and have no smile anymore. If it was the funeral of a near relative. The children in the hall looked so sad.

We are so proud of our own children, no jw upbringing but always a smile and happy. Logical thinking and never complains.

Never saw such a lack of joy in the hall, what would be a sign of christianity. if this is the weekly reality there are serious problems for the organization.

G.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Funny thing Gorb, even 35+ years ago I went to the memorial with a mother and her DF daughter (I wasn't baptized and a minor anyway). I'll never forget the daughter's take away that day.

"But mum.....they all look so miserable...."

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

who wouldnt look miserable--an extra meeting that week.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Don't they cancel the Sunday meeting when the Memorial is on a Sunday?

Please tell me they didn't go twice today!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Great teacher;

I know in years passed,,, when memorial fell on Sunday. I remember.

The Borg made no exception and had the congregations attend their 45 minute talk at the time and WT study.

Making the people lumber back and forth to the kh with no consideration about work or school the next day.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

JW Weekend Public Talk & Watchtower Study meetings canceled due to the Sunday Memorial.

• Gorb
    Gorb

It's not about 1, 2 or 3 meetings today. The flock lost the joy, and a beard and pants will not change it.

G.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GORB:

I am not surprised you encountered short ‘hellos’ and a general grim feeling in the congregation at this year’s memorial.(lower case).

Even though the Witnesses were more upbeat years ago, I couldn’t wait until it was over so I could run home! It seemed absurd to pass those plates like a charade.

Thinking about it, I can understand the feeling of disappointment today some JWs can’t hide.. After all, many are now seniors (after being assured by the religion they would never get old ‘in this system of things’). This isn’t always pleasant even for people who planned financially.. How must others feel who didn’t ?

To add insult to injury, the JW religion’s teachings recently got gutted (and they may not even be done yet).. Even the most faithful probably wonder how they should feel about everything. I’m sure there are a lot of mixed emotions - anxiety, resentfulness and other things as well!!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

There just has to be a lot of mixed feelings and resentfulness.

Probably the hardcore,, old school JWs.

Some of the Borgs primary doctrines got trashed. Probably more to come too.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I think covid may have something to do with their current depression. During covid a lot of them thought that the end was finally here. People were dying. Things were closing down. Then just like 1925, 1975 nothing happened. Things went back to normal. The stock market went up. Home prices and rent went up making it harder older witnesses who hadn't planned on being around this long to get by. If you've sat through 20, 30 or 40 of those boring annual pass the crackers and wine but don't dare take them events and your finances are in horrible shape because you took these guys seriously you may find the whole thing at this point rather depressing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit