Is 1914 still a major belief in JW land ? Or has it been abandoned ?

by smiddy3 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They can hang on to 1914 for a while longer by dropping the "generations" explanations. They almost did so in 1995. Why did they bring it back? I can only assume that they want to use it as a way to keep the expectations up, to maintain the idea that time has almost run out. That is what hinders the WTS- they need to keep people in expectation of an event that will happen very soon.

But at some point, enough time will pass that the date becomes worthless or even detrimental. And at that point, expect "new light" and "adjustments in thinking." But they will probably have to find something else to keep the pressure up, otherwise they will lose more and more people.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"How can we prove the Messianic kingdom was set up in heaven in 1914?"

Jesus gave a sign in Matt 24 & 25.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Rattigan.

Can you be specific? I don't see a single sign for the parousia in either chapter.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

If the GB released an "new understanding" article tomorrow dismissing the 1914 math, 99.9% of JWs would accept it

That is never ever ever going to happen for the reasons I gave:1914 is JW standing.

But let’s say that 1914 teaching becomes defunct. You are right that JW are still convinced on the org and in the Bible and that is because their faith doesn’t depend on it. JW are convinced that God is real and the promise of eternal life and relief is true. It doesn’t depend on wt.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Vanderhoven78 minutes ago

Hi Rattigan.

Can you be specific? I don't see a single sign for the parousia in either chapter.

No, no one can, but I'm sure someone will cut and paste some nonsensical propaganda that will muddy the waters more...lol

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@ Fisherman

"It doesn’t depend on wt."

What doesn't depend on wt?

Doesn't Jehovah's approval and surviving Armageddon depend on association with wt?

Are there Christians, i.e., members of the Great Crowd of other sheep running around today that don't associate with wt?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

99.9% of JWs would accept it

And you are also right that JW and lot of of other people just believe things without truly understanding it but belief does not mitigate truth nor validate it.

Let’s say hypothetically that you witnessed an event and you know with certainty that the event occurred because you measured it. And you draw certain conclusions from what you experienced. Your conclusions derived from your measurement might be wrong but you know that the event is real.

Even if in court your conclusions are debunked and even if the event itself was proven not to have occurred, nobody is going to unconvince you. You know what you know although you accept your mistake about your conclusions.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

What doesn't depend on wt?

The substance of it.

For example, the conduct of the Jews or their beliefs true or false had no effect on the truth of scripture and their role in God’s purpose to write God’s Word and to produce the Messiah. It did not depend on them—for example.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

So without 1914 or 1919, what exactly makes association with wt essential to salvation?

• incognito2014
    incognito2014

Blues Brother you mentioned the times, times and half a time.

There was an article in the Mirror newspaper recently where Isaac Newton predicted the end of the world, and then Christ would return and reign for a millennium., using the same methodology.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/isaac-newtons-eerie-1704-doomsday-29771572

He predicted that in 1750.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit