An old Kingdom hall now a church?

by HereIgo 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Two in my town, One a mosque, one a church. Go figure.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

The New Zealand bethel complex was sold to another church group.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Haven't you heard? One of the motto's the Governing Body lives by is:

"Do as we say, not as we do."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

They probably think they're "puttin' one over on Babylon the Great".

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, and the WTS can buy a religious building and convert to a KH. A Baptist church with a baptismal pool inside, had to take down the church spire though. Before they switched out the chairs they were metal and too narrow for most jw posteriors.

• Wayward
    Wayward

Oh yeah. I saw it happen firsthand. My congregation sold its old KH to a church to pay to build a new one. made me laugh every time I drove by and saw a big old cross on the side facing the street. The church outgrew the building and its now a daycare center.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

My old Kingdom Hall in White Oak, PA that I haven't stepped foot in since 2001 is now a church.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

About the only use a Kingdom Hall has when sold is for another church, or a daycare center. Most KHs are in residential zoned areas and their future use is very limited by the zoning laws. It would require a lot of work to retrofit them as a typical residence. One of the goals of the new building design is to make them better for resale. . . . Doc

• dozy
    dozy

It is surprisingly common that KHs are sold to churches ( and vice versa. ) When we put our old KH up for sale , one of the local churches were very interested but they were the underbidder. I always thought it was a bid odd to sell out to Babylon The Great ( can you imagine Solomon selling the tabernacle to the Baal worshippers? ) but when it comes to their money and properties , the WTBTS has always had something of a hypocritical attitude.

As a previous poster mentioned , the New Zealand Bethel was sold to the Elim Pentecostal church. So all those JWs who worked hard & donated their dollars saw it go to Satan , as it were.......

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/manukau-courier/9124458/Witnesses-sell-Elim-buys

• steve2
    steve2

The New Zealand bethel complex was sold to another church group.

Yes, and there was a glowing, complimentary press release from the new owners who lavishly praised the former JW owners and who quoted brothers as saying they were "pleased" the property was going into good hands!

When it comes to money, every religious group has its price. There are no exceptions.

Time and time again, JW organization has shown it is willing to get into bed with any of the churches of Christendom or world religions if the price is right. As their second president, famously said (evidently without irony,): "Religion is a snare and a racket".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit