Are Witnesses advised not to get into discussion’s about evolution with HH?

by Diogenesister 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

Diogenesister

in fact she seemed rather affronted and maintained she herself was “educated”. She didn’t say in what though...

She must of gotten her degree after a year in the Theocratic Ministry School because a year in the Theocratic Ministry school is the same as a 4 year college degree.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

JWs don’t want to discuss things in general but especially evolution. I tried to discuss evolution with an elder once and he wasn’t having it at all. He shut that conversation right down. He just said he believes in God and that’s good enough for him, end of story. He’s the sort of elder who regularly makes comments about Jehovah’s “loving” and “wonderful” organisation. You get the sense with some JWs that belief in the organisation comes first and is more important than anything else. More important than defending belief in God even, as illogical as that seems.

I wonder if Watchtower will ever accept evolution? About the same time they accept homosexual people, I suppose. It might take another ten or twenty years.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ slimboyfat...

They can never change their stance on evolution, no matter what.

The Eden narrative in Genesis is simply too crucial a component to WT cosmology.

Realizing that a) evolution had to be true, and that b) the bOrg could never budge on it were, in retrospect, two of my more significant little turning points back in the day.

• blondie
    blondie

If jws researched this topic, especially outside WTS publications, and checked the experts cited by the WTS in context, they might find how dubious the WTS "logical" explanation is deceiving, on purpose; designed to confuse the average jw.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree with vidiot it is impossible the wt will ever accept the fact of evolution.

Their weird interpretation of the meaning of Jesus' death makes a literal Adam and Eve essential.

Being a JW will always demand intellectual suicide.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I have a feeling you planted a few seeds in her mind, eventually, those seeds will sprout. But it is going to take some "watering" from the Watchtower's nonsense that will actually water it and cause it to grow.

• jp1692
    jp1692

It was much easier to believe in divine creation before archaeologists and palaeontologists started discovering all those darned fossils that Jehovah allowed Satan to bury just to confuse us and test our faith in believing in things contrary to physical evidence.

• Humphry
    Humphry

The "Fact" of evolution is undeniable, JWs wisely avoid debating the subject with those that have gotten a higher education as they are ill equipped by the Watchtower corporation's selective information indoctrination/studies on the subject.

The cognitive dissonance caused by a discussion with some one worldly that has a higher education on the facts of evolution with some one indoctrinated to believe it is false would be almost unbearable and be cut short by the JW because of how uncomfortable he was feeling.

It is even painful for me to watch a JW trying to argue against evolution because I can still feel a twinge CD, even though I'm no longer a believer in the biblical deity.

• sir82
    sir82

For many years now, JWs have been encouraged not to engage in discussion with people who are not "reasonable".

"Reasonable" being another one of those words that JWs have redefined to suit their purpose. In this case, "reasonable" means "dumb as a box of hammers, and willing to vacuously nod in agreement regarding whatever folderol dribbles from the mouth of the JW at the door."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My closest relative would just rise to the opportunity and love an opportunity to discuss evolution v creation with a h/h. All dubs are not the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit