Are Witnesses advised not to get into discussion’s about evolution with HH?

by Diogenesister 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just before the last memorial, I finally had a witness call with an invite ( I say finally because I haven’t seen anyone in the D 2 D preaching work for going on 5 years!).

I wasn’t particularly prepared ( it being early and me still in my nightie!) but I managed to collect myself and said I didn’t think I wanted to go since I discovered the scandal around the UN.....and I outlined the facts.

JW: Oh no I don’t think so, where on earth did you read that?

Me: The Guardian

JW: ( white as a sheet and shocked) OH!

We are Brits and interestingly, knowing the Guardian’s reputation, she immediately accepted it must be true. So we started to discuss various things and it ( to me) seemed to be going well. I informed the witness that I had witness friends ( true) which surprised her so she inquired what religion I was. I said I didn’t have one. In fact didn’t believe. She said “ oh that explains it” ( as if it’s acceptable for a witness to have an atheist friend, but not a Catholic or Mormon friend!! So fearful are they of “ Apostasy”!!)

Anyway, it suddenly occurred to her to ask “ if I believed in evolution?”. I blurted out “ of course!”

JW: Ok. Bye!

And in a flash she was gone!! No “ By your leave” or anything!!

So. Are witnesses told/advised/taught to disconnect if the HH believes in evolution? Are the higher ups fearful that this, of all things, is the key to waking up?? Have they lost too many soldiers on that particular hill or what??

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

No, this one in particular was just looking for a way out, especially mentally, after she heard all those inconvenient facts. She just wanted to have some excuse to disregard everything you said and salve her cognitive dissonance.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Diog I think neat blue dog is right you really rattled her and she was looking for an excuse to run away.

Whatever happened to talking about Darwin eh? What happened to asking how life evolved when we've only managed to create amino acids (Miller experiment). I know now we were confusing evolution with abiogenesis but we had a go didn't we? We didn't just walk away.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m surprised they would want to get into a discussion about anything nowadays with a HH let alone religion.

The internet is a two edged sword against the JW religion .

Sooner or later the GB is going to rue the day they opened this Pandoras box.

• Onager
    Onager

Believing in Evolution is what set's us apart from the animals...

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Onager

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    smiddy3 - "I`m surprised they would want to get into a discussion about anything..."

Damn, beat me to it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Onager - "Believing in evolution is what sets us apart from the animals..."

...that we evolved from, ironically.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thanks guys. I guess she just wanted to offer the flyer and “fly”😉

She did seem genuinely taken aback by the UN thing. Just as well she went as I always think it’s better to leave them with one thought to process, too much and they get over loaded and dismiss the lot.

Oh actually I also mentioned Watchtower being against education and she was adamant that wasn’t true, in fact she seemed rather affronted and maintained she herself was “educated”. She didn’t say in what though....we know they do sometimes attend local (to home) colleges, but usually in what I’d term ‘non threatening’ subjects like nursing or languages, or at least vocational courses like accounting.

• alanv
    alanv

There is very little reasoning with JWs now days. If you dont show an attitude of accepting what they tell you without question, then they will be off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit