I conclude evolution is guided

by KateWild 532 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild
    he giles grey - you are asking Kate to apologise????
    here is Kate to K99 on page 1 - Lol I am sorry for making wrong assumptions. You are genuine. I see that xx.
    Good point, this is exactly what Bhom's conclusion is too. I think both perspectives are valid, but neither are absolute yet. In time science will have conclusive evidence, until then we can only draw conclusions from what we have.
    to notsurewheretogo p. 2
    kate said:Okay so you conclude that autocatalytic set evolved without guidance. Fair enough. I view this as guidance. The very premise of what catalysts do and their purpose leads me to this conclusion. But your conclusion is just as valid.
    Kate said:But if you don't think my conclusion is valid, that's okay. It's only my conclusion so far
    Kate said: Life would be boring if we all agreed.
    p. 3 to notsurewheretogo
    kate said: I apologise if you feel I am being evasive.

need I go on? she has been reasonable and respectful.

Thanks Ruby, but this isn't good enough for Giles

• Maybe you can cite the post where you do actually apologise for falsely accusing k99 and notsurewheretogo of trying to prove you wrong. Maybe Ruby can? - Giles

I apologise for falsely accusing K99 and Notsure of trying to prove me wrong. I shouldn't have accused them. Sorry K99 and Notsure

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Please by all means flag any of my posts. My points are directly related to your irrational responses to the topic at hand. - Giles

I disagree, so now back to the topic

cofty,

I responded two days ago to your post explaining Soai's reaction and explained to you there is more to chemistry than just his paper. Sadly you completely ignored the science and made some other comments to try and discredit my credentials.

Here it is again, if you think I am wrong and want to prove I am wrong please explain to me succinctly in chemical terms with evidence why you feel my conclusions are wrong.

Autocatalysis makes it inevitable that if there is the slightest difference in the balance of chiral products then you will get 999 heads out of a thousand. No guidance required.- cofty

The chemistry is correct, but you have drawn your conclusion based limited chemistry, In amino acids, alanine for example the slight difference in balance is always in the l-enantiomer e.g

Image result for alanineImage result for alanine

So autocatalysis always occurs one way in Alanine. However in racemic mixtures such as thalidomide, even though there is a slight imbalance autcatalysis does not occur. And both the enantiomers are formed. e.g.

Image result for thalidomide structure

Since the 70's I am sure chemists found ways to isolate the mutagenic d-enantiomer probably with autocatalysis. So Soai highly likely was not the first to discover autocatalysis in 1995.

Other racemic copounds exist such as methanol, ketamine, camphor and tartaric acid. All of which do not have a refractive index of zero all the time. Refractive index is a way to measure chirality using a polorimeter, the l-enantiomers and d-enantiomers rotate in different directions. And when racemic mixtures are measured they are usually slightly positive or negative, but no autocatalysis occurs. So the probability that autocatalysis in alanine to always form the l-enantiomer is guided is high for me.

Do you understand the implications of autocatalysis and how it results in exponential growth? - Cofty

Yes. Do you understand not all enantiomeric compounds are homochiral and racemic mixtures also have slight differences in balance of the stereo ismoers?

This so-called problem was solved by Kenso Soai in 1995. Why have you totally ignored his work in this thread? - Cofty

I have referred to it in other threads and you didn't see my responses. You often say people have ignored you or not responded when in fact you just missed their posts. Only you, me and cantleave on this forum have read it. You're using it to confirm your bias, I am using it to confirm my bias, and cantleave doesn't think it's proof of anything and he is still an atheist.

By the way, if anyone on this thread want to read it post a request for a link and me or cofty will supply it.

cofty, did Soai specifically write his paper to solve the problem of the existence of a creator, or did he write the paper because he wanted to explain how homochirality and chiral compounds are formed and are different?

I never twist facts. My policy is to seek out the very best arguments against my position and follow the evidence wherever it leads. I don't want to be wrong any longer than necessary.- cofty

I see cofty, so you admit you have a position? But you deny being bias? You claim you seek out arguments against your bias, oops sorry position, well it must be true because cofty said it and it's on the internet. Having a position and being biased are completely different. I totally believe you that you don't seek out arguments to confirm your bias, oops sorry position.Image result for alanine

Kenso Soai (21 years ago) - Look I have shown how replicating stuff can end up all left-handed. We can now explain exactly how that happens naturally. Lot's of things Kate has written on this thread shows she doesn't get it either. Soai totally solved the puzzle. Kate is 20 years behind the science with her fingers in her ears singing "lalalala I can't hear you" - cofty

This is just hillarious cofty, having a debate with you about chemistry is like I am playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon struts all over the board shitting everywhere and thinks it's won. When are you going to talk about the chemistry cofty? What part of my post is wrong chemistry? I don't think there is a right or wrong about drawing conclusions, but you insist on trying to prove me wrong. Are you ever going to talk about chemistry?

• cofty
    cofty

Kate - I just got in from work. I have been out from 7:30 this morning and now I have a million things to do this evening.

Not content to misrepresent Soai once you have posted the same things three times and copy-pasted it into a PM. Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it correct.

I might have time later to explain why you are wrong. If not, don't worry I WILL get around to it.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Not content to misrepresent Soai once you have posted the same things three times and copy-pasted it into a PM. Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it correct. - cofty

Hahahah lol. Well you kept thinking I was ignoring you, so I wanted to be sure you had the post.

I might have time later to explain why you are wrong. If not, don't worry I WILL get around to it - cofty

Blah blah blah, I've heard this multiple times. To be fair life is more important than showing me how I have misrepresented Soai. But if you think it's important enough to show me exactly what I have said that is misrepresenting Soai, succinctly then I look forward to you correctly representing him. Like you posting why he wrote the paper. You clearly didn't misrepresent him in that respect, he just hold's the same bias, oops I mean position as you. We don't need quotes from his paper, we trust you cofty.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Ruby -

I personally felt that Kate tried to deflect my questions on the basis that she didn't think my motives were open several times. She also reasserted her claim I was not genuine on page 7:

When you first enquired I knew you weren't genuine, the place to discuss conclusions is somewhere that suits everyone. Cantleave and I talk on the phone about this we have different conclusions and remain friends.
    Your problem is that you're not genuine about your interest. Perhaps you think you are but you're not.

I did challenge her on this and she did apologise again, which is the end of it for me.

I have no beef with Kate. My life is easier respecting the positive things she has done over the years here rather than trying to force her to answer every one of my questions.

Giles -

I appreciate you trying to support mine and notsures' line of reasoning however I am happy that I have got all I going to get from the discussion and for me to continue to prod Kate has no positive angles.

The interesting bit of the discussion now is the debate between Cofty and Kate as it exposes me to the technicalities of a subject I have little real knowledge of.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks K99 -

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

whatshalllicallmyself

"evolution can be guided by memory so I don't agree with atheists who say evolution is unguided" - Ruby

There is a difference between a natural process that seemingly "guides" something and a sentient being controlling everything around us (or even one or two small things). Generally, if a theist states that evolution is guided then they are referring to the latter. I would also question your use of the word memory. The term memory can be used to describe something that has no connection to the everyday meaning of the word. You may use it correctly but I am sure there are some readers who would misinterpret your point.

actually theists have a range of ways of conceiving of how God guides evolution - you are describing a fairly narrow way of how he does so. Deists for example have a different view from pantheist Christians.

as to memory - well I'm all for freedom of thinking

regarding naturalism - this also has a narrow understandings or a wider ones. you are free to choose.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    The interesting bit of the discussion now is the debate between Cofty and Kate as it exposes me to the technicalities of a subject I have little real knowledge of. - K99

Okay fair enough, that's really great that you're reading it all. Thank you very much. I think I can better answer cofty's questions, because he is using my language, and I can respond to his chemical points. I really don't mean to discriminate this way, I didn't realise I was.

To add, I don't mind cofty trying to prove me wrong either. I actually like it. You never know he might even change my views.

Hey Ruby, glad you got back on the thread. You must've got my PM xx

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Our conclusions should follow the evidence. Not try and lead the evidence.

If there is some aspect of biology or chemistry we don't understand than the answer is - we don't yet understand. Not, "hey, I can make up whatever I want now."

God of the gaps is logical fallacy that occurs when God is invoked to explain some natural phenomena that science cannot (at the time of the argument). "God of the gaps" is a bad argument not only on logical grounds, but on empirical grounds: there is a long history of "gaps" being filled and the gap for God thus getting smaller and smaller, suggesting "we don't know yet" as an alternative that works better in practice; naturalistic explanations for still-mysterious phenomena are always possible, especially in the future where more information may be uncovered.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

Kate

coded logic i think the god of the gaps idea is only a logical fallacy if an individual believes in intelligent design

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit