I conclude evolution is guided

by KateWild 532 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

the giles grey - you are asking Kate to apologise????

here is Kate to K99 on page 1 - Lol I am sorry for making wrong assumptions. You are genuine. I see that xx.

Good point, this is exactly what Bhom's conclusion is too. I think both perspectives are valid, but neither are absolute yet. In time science will have conclusive evidence, until then we can only draw conclusions from what we have.

to notsurewheretogo p. 2

kate said:Okay so you conclude that autocatalytic set evolved without guidance. Fair enough. I view this as guidance. The very premise of what catalysts do and their purpose leads me to this conclusion. But your conclusion is just as valid.

Kate said:But if you don't think my conclusion is valid, that's okay. It's only my conclusion so far

Kate said: Life would be boring if we all agreed.

p. 3 to notsurewheretogo

kate said: I apologise if you feel I am being evasive.

need I go on? she has been reasonable and respectful.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    How is that simpler? All you have done is add a multitude of unanswered questions without answering the initial question. - whatshallicallmyself

You seem to have answered the question yourself, so you're not really interested in a debate about chemistry. But I will explain again what I have said already, but try and be more succinct.

Facts - Alanine is an enantiimeric compound, Glucose is an entatiomeric compound, Methanol is an enantiomeric compound. Alanine is homochiral with only l-enantiomers, Glucose is homochiral with d-enantiomers, methanol is racemic with both l- and d- enantionmers with a slight imbalance favouring both at one time or another.

My conclusion - This is probably naturally guided.

How is it simpler? It's simple probabilities, you can't toss a coin and still get heads 99 times out of 100.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"evolution can be guided by memory so I don't agree with atheists who say evolution is unguided" - Ruby

There is a difference between a natural process that seemingly "guides" something and a sentient being controlling everything around us (or even one or two small things). Generally, if a theist states that evolution is guided then they are referring to the latter. I would also question your use of the word memory. The term memory can be used to describe something that has no connection to the everyday meaning of the word. You may use it correctly but I am sure there are some readers who would misinterpret your point.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    The probability that it was guided by an intelligent being that is playing intergalactic peek-a-boo with us is around .01% for me. - Onegen

You know this is a really good point and cantleave said the practically same thing on the phone to me. He also added that to guide something so simple, the guidance would have to come from something complex, which doesn't make logical sense to him.

But thank you for your interest in my conclusions.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray
    Ruby-"need I go on? she has been reasonable and respectful."

No she hasn't. She hasn't apologised for the points I am refering to. My citations of what she said are after your references.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"This does not make sense chemically." - Kate

What doesn't? What have stated that is wrong? I may have used simplistic language and analogies but that doesn't make me wrong!

"I am talking about homochirality in living things in nature and racemic solutions in non living chemicals and other objects. Do you mean that homochirality is expected over racemic mixtures?"

In the biosphere yes of course. Left and right handed molecules are not identical insofar that they do not make use of the same energy resources; they are as far as life is concerned, completely different. You cannot use one set or type of molecules in an environment with specific constraints and then use the results obtained from those observations to conclude anything about other molecules in other environments. In the context of your posts you are saying that scientists set up a system in the lab and looked at how specific chiral molecules behaved. From that you then state that this gives you reason to conclude that chirality that we see in the world indicates a guiding force controlling things in such a way that life uses the left hand variant.... Is that summary wrong?

• KateWild
    KateWild

cofty,

I responded two days ago to your post explaining Soai's reaction and explained to you there is more to chemistry than just his paper. Sadly you completely ignored the science and made some other comments to try and discredit my credentials.

Here it is again, if you think I am wrong and want to prove I am wrong please explain to me succinctly in chemical terms with evidence why you feel my conclusions are wrong.

Autocatalysis makes it inevitable that if there is the slightest difference in the balance of chiral products then you will get 999 heads out of a thousand. No guidance required.- cofty

The chemistry is correct, but you have drawn your conclusion based limited chemistry, In amino acids, alanine for example the slight difference in balance is always in the l-enantiomer e.g

Image result for alanineImage result for alanine

So autocatalysis always occurs one way in Alanine. However in racemic mixtures such as thalidomide, even though there is a slight imbalance autcatalysis does not occur. And both the enantiomers are formed. e.g.

Image result for thalidomide structure

Since the 70's I am sure chemists found ways to isolate the mutagenic d-enantiomer probably with autocatalysis. So Soai highly likely was not the first to discover autocatalysis in 1995.

Other racemic copounds exist such as methanol, ketamine, camphor and tartaric acid. All of which do not have a refractive index of zero all the time. Refractive index is a way to measure chirality using a polorimeter, the l-enantiomers and d-enantiomers rotate in different directions. And when racemic mixtures are measured they are usually slightly positive or negative, but no autocatalysis occurs. So the probability that autocatalysis in alanine to always form the l-enantiomer is guided is high for me.

Do you understand the implications of autocatalysis and how it results in exponential growth? - Cofty

Yes. Do you understand not all enantiomeric compounds are homochiral and racemic mixtures also have slight differences in balance of the stereo ismoers?

This so-called problem was solved by Kenso Soai in 1995. Why have you totally ignored his work in this thread? - Cofty

I have referred to it in other threads and you didn't see my responses. You often say people have ignored you or not responded when in fact you just missed their posts. Only you, me and cantleave on this forum have read it. You're using it to confirm your bias, I am using it to confirm my bias, and cantleave doesn't think it's proof of anything and he is still an atheist.

By the way, if anyone on this thread want to read it post a request for a link and me or cofty will supply it.

cofty, did Soai specifically write his paper to solve the problem of the existence of a creator, or did he write the paper because he wanted to explain how homochirality and chiral compounds are formed and are different?

I never twist facts. My policy is to seek out the very best arguments against my position and follow the evidence wherever it leads. I don't want to be wrong any longer than necessary.- cofty

I see cofty, so you admit you have a position? But you deny being bias? You claim you seek out arguments against your bias, oops sorry position, well it must be true because cofty said it and it's on the internet. Having a position and being biased are completely different. I totally believe you that you don't seek out arguments to confirm your bias, oops sorry position.Image result for alanine

Kenso Soai (21 years ago) - Look I have shown how replicating stuff can end up all left-handed. We can now explain exactly how that happens naturally. Lot's of things Kate has written on this thread shows she doesn't get it either. Soai totally solved the puzzle. Kate is 20 years behind the science with her fingers in her ears singing "lalalala I can't hear you" - cofty

This is just hillarious cofty, having a debate with you about chemistry is like I am playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon struts all over the board shitting everywhere and thinks it's won. When are you going to talk about the chemistry cofty? What part of my post is wrong chemistry? I don't think there is a right or wrong about drawing conclusions, but you insist on trying to prove me wrong. Are you ever going to talk about chemistry?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Giles, stop being silly and derailing the thread. You're off topic. Read the post above about chemistry and if you can't make a response to the points then don't respond off topic again. I am flagging your post as off topic.

Ruby, I was just going through all my posts to quote them. Thank you very much for doing it for me. Do you remember the poster Viv? Looks like we have a new one lol xx

• KateWild
    KateWild
    What doesn't? What have stated that is wrong? I may have used simplistic language and analogies but that doesn't make me wrong! - whatshallicallmyself

Sorry I meant to say it doesn't make chemical sense to me. I can't tell what's right or wrong with what you've said, it just doesn't make sense to me. So I can't respond. You're absolutely right that is doesn't make you wrong using the language you did. My apologies if I came across that way.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray
    KateWild-" Giles, stop being silly and derailing the thread. You're off topic. Read the post above about chemistry and if you can't make a response to the points then don't respond off topic again. I am flagging your post as off topic."

Please by all means flag any of my posts. My points are directly related to your irrational responses to the topic at hand.

Maybe you can cite the post where you do actually apologise for falsely accusing k99 and notsurewheretogo of trying to prove you wrong? Maybe Ruby can?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit