JWs Among the Least Educated in the US

by jp1692 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi Again,

They think just because they can quote scriptures they are more intelligent than anyone else...NOT...a child can be taught to quote scriptures. Most witnesses are full of themselves....they think that when they go through something it's persecution. Everybody in this world is going through one thing or another...everybody...But witnesses think so much of themselves they believe they are Teflon...

Too add, they act humble...but they are anything but humble...I'm in the hall...most of them are just good pious acting actors and actresses...

Tor

• NJ501
    NJ501

According to a sisters comment last Sunday...They receive the best education at the kingdom hall. 🙄

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Hey tor1500, It might be an urban vs rural thing. In my congregation in the SF Bay Area there were many with degrees, usually from before conversion. The majority here in the countryside are dumb as rocks. I've met only one elder in the surrounding congregations with a degree and he is viewed with suspicion. I left the Lie and have a degree now. Thank goodness.

• stuckinarut2
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I posted that quote above to my instagram.

The irony of the term "light" made me chuckle..."New light" anyone?

Several witnesses "liked" the picture, obviously with no idea of the point I was making.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    • "it surprises me that 9% of JWs have completed a college degree"

Yes, based on my experience, 9% is too high I think JW's confuse any post high school education with college degree. I know many of them get 6 month to two year technical degrees. There's many doctor/dentist assistants, diaper changing "nurses", computer technicians, etc. These careers pay often two dollars above minimum wage.

• vienne
    vienne

never a,

My experience with them is that most with degrees obtained them before conversion.

• traveb
    traveb

Of course, everyone has different experiences and anecdotal evidence based on what they've experienced and where they life. Living in Silicon Valley, I can attest to the fact that many JWs here have 4-year college degrees, but not many have post graduate degrees (at least the people that I know). Of course, the majority are just high school graduates, and that number is most likely a much higher percentage than the general population in this particular area.

It's very helpful looking at these independent surveys, which give an impartial and broad snapshot in time.

One thing I noticed is that the education attainment of JWs closely mirrors that of two other groups: Hispanic Catholics and Hispanic Protestants. Historically, JWs have been more effective at converting Hispanics, and it's been observed that Hispanics make up a huge percentage of the JWs, even more so that the general population. Assuming that's the case, it seems that in addition to doctrinal teachings, there may also be cultural reasons for the overall low educational attainment of American JWs.

As future generations of Hispanics further assimilate and intermarry, this may change.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Not surprised at all!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

We see a disturbing and cult like pattern in these statistics but if you showed this graph to a JW, they'd say of corse....and be proud of the fact that their members are storing their treasures in heaven rather than on earth where rust and moths consume.

This graph demonstrates the outcome they specifically hoped for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit