JWs Among the Least Educated in the US

by jp1692 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jp1692
    jp1692

September 6th, 2017: A just released research survey shows once again that Jehovah's Witnesses are among the least educated people in the United States:

It is also interesting to note how JWs rank in the categories of: Income, Insurance Coverage and Homeownership. They are among the lowest in every one of these categories.

• 45% of JWs report household earnings of less than $30,000 per year
    • Fewer than half of Jehovah’s Witnesses (48%) are homeowners
    • Only 31% report having health insurance through their employer

I wonder how Bible Studies and baptisms would fare if these statistics were disclosed up front?

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

The only real consistency in their beliefs are that going to college is a waste of time. Its held truer than multiple doctrines considered "core".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting, thanks for posting.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Doesn't this reflect the nature of the messianic and triumphalist beliefs held by JWs?

If you can't make it in the real world then resort to the all embracing substitute life espoused by the Watchtower.

If you buy into their claims then sit back and everything you ever wanted will be yours. . . except at the end of the JW rainbow there is what there is at the end of any other rainbow.............nothing.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The vast majority are a drag on society. I mean worldly society. Because so many are self employed off the paper trail, ie: landscapers, window washers and janitorial, they pay no social security and end up on welfare when older. Pioneers often take state assistance for health care (in the U.S.) that is. Hell, many JW's do so. The English call it "the Dole", we call it welfare and yet the kids have to cough up their ice cream money to dear old Tony and the boys. Aint that special?

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

To be honest, it surprises me that 9% of JWs have completed a college degree. I would have thought it to be much lower. I'd be curious to see how this breaks down for JWs in rural vs urban areas, as well as different regions of the US. In rural areas (and probably Spanish congregations too), the college degree attainment for JWs has got to be somewhere between 1% and 2% - just my guess though.

Of course, it's possible that some of the JW respondents assumed that reading an Asleep! magazine qualified as equal to a college degree, and that reading Asleep! for two consecutive issues was the equivalent of a Master's Degree.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tight Pants Tony somehow incorporate these statistics into his Annual Meeting talk, saying they should be proud of being the least educated people in the world, while also touting themselves as the "thinkingest people in the world."

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

interesting

• jp1692
    jp1692

The "some college category" is misleading because that could include anyone that even took just a single class at a local community college.

The most significant categories are: college graduate and post-graduate. JWs are the absolute lowest in both of these categories. Rock bottom.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

i looked at figures for 2016 and comparing them to what you have above 2017 this is what I got

some college category is close to the national average for JWS - only 1 percentage point difference. so that is saying something. not so bad in this category

college grad category is at approx 5-6 % points lower than the lowest states West Virginia and Kentucky. not a huge difference. Edit: If in 2017 it is 9% (notblind above) for college grads that is not very different from the states with the lowest figs.

JWs actually do have post grads but the figures show that they are still 4-6 percentage points lower than the lowest N&S. Dakota, Iowa, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi. Maryland has the highest at 20%.

high school or less category lets them down as they have a massive 68% compared to the national average of 45.1%

http://ava.prri.org/#religious/2016/States/

• pixel
    pixel

That explains it all. Repulsive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit