Everlasting life on a stick

by truthseeker 15 Replies latest jw friends

• deegee
    deegee

All religions, not just the WT, promise everlasting life and that everything is better at that time.

The hope of everlasting life and peace only comes after you die when the hope/promise cannot be confirmed.

Outside of religion, most people would consider such unverifiable "promises" to be fraudulent.

The promise of everlasting life helps people to feel good about death.

• kairos
    kairos

Peddlers of the 'original lie'.

"You positively will not die" - Gen 3:4

"Millions now living will never die"
    "Truth that leads to everlasting life"
    "You can live forever in paradise on earth"

They lie

• waton
    waton
    Peddlers of the 'original lie'.
    "You positively will not die" - Gen 3:4

the lie of the wiggling schtick aka snake, faked by Moses and competitors in Kairo, kairos. ca, 1500 bc.

• deegee
    deegee

No other denomination teaches that persons will escape death. This is how everlasting life becomes a carrot on a stick.

Other denominations accept that death is inevitable, it's a fact of life but their soul will live on in heaven after their physical body dies.

During my childhood indoctrination I recall the JW sister who studied with me quoted Job 33:25 from a WT publication:

"let their flesh be renewed like a child’s; let them be restored as in the days of their youth".

As I recall, the publication (possibly a WT magazine) had a picture showing the aging process of an old man being reversed. The sister claimed that this is how it will be in Paradise. After leaving the JWs I realized that this scripture was not describing the reversal of aging during some future Paradise.

It was interesting that when I told persons in FS that God's plan is for them to live forever on a Paradise earth, some would remark that I was speaking nonsense and being unrealistic because as far as they know, you live and then you die at some point, that's just the way life is. I thought they were mistaken, too blind to see, because as per my JW brainwashing, this is what God's original plan was for mankind.

It is said that religion satisfies psychological needs. Young people, especially, are given to idealism and this was true of me. My idealism, among other things (dysfunctional, stressed family life) made me easy pickings for the WT's live forever on a Paradise earth ideology.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    DeeGee It is said that religion satisfies psychological needs. Young people, especially, are given to idealism and this was true of me. My idealism, among other things (dysfunctional, stressed family life) made me easy pickings for the WT's live forever on a Paradise earth ideology.

This could be me, too.

Isn't it sad that Watchtower takes advantage of the trusting nature of children. Its often the most sweet natured of children that gets suckered in, too.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The image of chasing a carrot on a stick is not correct. They don't even have a carrot to put out of reach, just the promise of a carrot- everlasting life. When members start to realize they can not even smell a carrot, they stop chasing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit