JWs do Volunteer To Help Worldly Organizations Distribute Food to the Needy

by Athanasius 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Some months back I posted a topic asking if JWs were now encouraged to volunteer their time for charitable organizations, as one of the volunteers who I work with was promoting JW.org to one of the Spanish speaking workers. Because of that, I guessed that he was a JW.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5708790489939968/jws-now-encouraged-volunteer

Well the other day as he and I were folding and stacking tables after distributing food to the needy, I mentioned that after I retired I got bored and decided to do volunteer work. Since this guy looked to be over 60 and so retired, I asked what had been his profession before he signed on to help with the food distribution. His reply was rather interesting: "I worked for the kingdom."

So I said: "So you are a retired minister?" He nodded in the affirmative. So I asked him which denomination. He said that he was a JW. I told him that I was Anglican, hoping to pave the way for a discussion. He asked if I was interested in the Bible. When I said that I was, he told me that the JWs have a new movie about Hezekiah and how God's angel slew 185,000 Assyrian soldiers in one night. I was about to reply that it probably had more to do with contaminated water than angelic interference. But our supervisor called for me to assist him in taking a count of the undistributed items.

Unfortunately when I finished with that project, the JW was involved in a discussion with another volunteer. I didn't hear much of what they were talking about, but the non-JW volunteer was saying something about his church and that collections were voluntary.

The JW doesn't know anything about my JW history, so I hope to talk more with him at the next food distribution and possibly do some un-witnessing.

I also suspect that he and his wife are not your ordinary congregational JWs. In fact I suspect that they may have been missionaries or possibly sacked Bethelites. Perhaps they will have an interesting story to tell.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

That level of engagement with a worldly charity is certainly not the norm amongst witnesses.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Actually it`s not quite clear whether he is a current JW or an ex JW , which might explain it a bit more.

My bet would be he is an ex .

smiddy

• zeb
    zeb

konceptual 99 is quite correct.

• Divergent
    Divergent

I asked what had been his profession before he signed on to help with the food distribution. His reply was rather interesting: "I worked for the kingdom."

So I said: "So you are a retired minister?" He nodded in the affirmative.

Sounds funny. JW's NEVER retire from "ministering" and stop "working" for the "kingdom"!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If he was working in a food bank, it might well be that he is using it and feels obligated to take part in the labor. Speaking as a former food bank recipient. 3-4 times at the food bank and I ended up volunteering for years in a couple of different towns.

I think that the WT has been making noises to the effect that volunteer work in the community is not inherently a waste of time. In a recent article or talk mentioned here, it had a much different tone than the ones of my youth. It might be that more and more JWs are now the recipients of worldly charities, or that JWs have been PUBLICLY shown to be the recipients (remember that little kid a few months ago with one of the "go fund me" accounts that was made public in the media, and her religion was highlighted? The WT needs JWs to be just as publicly giving as getting, and I am NOT talking about their PR release kind of "charity" when there is a tornado or flood.

• Darryl
    Darryl

That's encouraging that witnesses are now allowed to do real charity work to help their fellow man. I remember when their idea of helping those who were downtrodden went a little something like this. Are you hungry? You are? Starving actually? That's too bad. how would you like to live in a world where you will never be hungry or thirsty again? And you can pet lions and tigers. And instead of barbequeing a pig you will feast on nuts and berries and various other fruits. Here take this watchtower ummm we normally get a donation for thi...oh you don't have any money? Well how about we set up a bible study I guess you will be back here next week??

• Saename
    Saename
    Darryl - I remember when their idea of helping those who were downtrodden went a little something like this. Are you hungry? You are? Starving actually? That's too bad. how would you like to live in a world where you will never be hungry or thirsty again? And you can pet lions and tigers. And instead of barbequeing a pig you will feast on nuts and berries and various other fruits. Here take this watchtower ummm we normally get a donation for thi...oh you don't have any money? Well how about we set up a bible study I guess you will be back here next week??

I would argue that their idea of charity still resembles, to some degree, what you just said.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Smiddy,

I don't think this volunteer is an ex-JW, nor an inactive JW. He and his wife might be former missionaries or special pioneers, but since he is still promoting JWism, he is probably counting time for his publisher's record card. If he was an ex-JW it's doubtful that he would promote the new JW film to me, or show another volunteer how to access JW.org on his cell phone.

He does pick up food for several families, whether these families are JWs or not, I don't know. Plus he might be getting an allotment for him and his wife. I hope to be able to talk more with him at the next distribution. His story may be interesting.

Still it is nice to see JWs engaged in activities that actually help the community.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel

I've only ever known JWs to do "charitable" work for other JWs. I'm sure there must be exceptions though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit