Do I have to believe in Jesus to be saved?

by unsure 119 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unsure
    unsure

@sparky1

Yes they gave the best option, but isn't there a possibility there are others? If they used the word "only" I'd understand.

Not being difficult, just thinking out loud and I agree, I've always had a poor knowledge of the Bible.

• unsure
    unsure

@sparrowdown

I would hope another way I could be saved is if God understood that my critical thinking skills did not allow me to always understand/beleive the Bible and the Ransom etc (as mentioned in the thread) that they would look to see if I lived as a good person. I would hope being a good person ie. basically MOST of the 10 Commandments as an example, would have me saved.

Saved from judgement for the times we are less than stellar people (see page 6). Saved from Adamic sin. The scope of this thread is Christianity and the Bible mentions Adamic sin whether we like it/understand the concept or not.

(I understand 10 Commandments was old covenant but it is still a good way to live by and a good example in explaining what I mean)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    unsure - That's the problem, without these fairy tales, I believe life is meaningless.

This to me, is the crux of the matter. Perhaps we don't want to accept that our lives are meaningless.

Maybe it's something we have to face up to. It's quite possibly the inconvenient truth we are afraid of.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

A very on-topic video by ThereminTrees: https://youtu.be/QRbnws-zITg

Btw all his videos are well worth watching for recovering ex-cult-members.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"That's the problem, without these fairy tales, I believe life is meaningless." - unsure

By believing this thought and holding on to it tightly, you are limiting yourself in your search for your life's meaning. Is there an ultimate meaning to life? No one really knows. Is there a road to follow that will lead us to permanent salvation? Many make religious and supernatural claims that by 'following this or that formula or religion' you will finally attain the ultimate end goal which will add meaning to your life. By following such a philosophy, you are putting the 'cart before the horse' . The real question for each of us is, 'How can I find meaning in my life from moment to moment and from day to day'? Is there not meaning in seeing the smile of a child? In the beautiful fragrance from a flower? The embrace from a loved one? Helping someone that you care for? Showing loving concern for others less fortunate than you? Giving a gift freely and without expectation of anything in return? The list of potential meanings in our lives is endless and personal because only we find and fulfill them. Stop worrying and projecting your one and only life into the future. Live life daily and find your meaning where it presents itself. Life is not 'a dress rehearsal'. This is it. Is there something more than this life? It would be nice if there was but I'm not going to waste precious life now worrying about it and I don't think you should either. You are a unique human being because there is no one else like you. Go out into the world and share your uniqueness with others. They will be glad that you did and so will you.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The core theological ideology of Christianity is to be saved toward eternal heavenly life or as the JWS make it an earthly eternal life.

So if you don't believe or accept JC then you are not a Christian, its not complicated.

• unsure
    unsure

@Finkelstein

I didn't ask whether I was Christan or not, I asked if Christianity was true, is there a chance I could be saved even if I at times doubted Jesus or things in the Bible.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    Unsure: If Christianity was true, is there a chance I could be saved even if I at times doubted Jesus or things in the Bible?

The idea of needing to be "saved" is a distinctly Christian teaching, at least how you are framing the question. Other religions all have concepts of you needing to belong to be good with god; that's how they keep membership.

But personal salvation is a Christian teaching. Without in mind, look again at your question and you should see that it's self-referential and somewhat circular.

If Christianity is true, then you need to be a Christian. If it is not, then you don't.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Unsure: I answered this on page 6

Not really. You might think you did, but you didn't.

LisaRose asked, "What is it you think you think you need to be saved from?"

And you responded by writing:

From the times, like all humans where I'm a less then a stellar person. All humans are at times ungrateful, angry, greedy, unkind, disloyal, dishonest etc. Just like I would ask a family member for forgiveness for showing those qualities towards them, I would ask forgiveness to God.

LisaRose asked you about being "saved," but you answered about forgiveness. They may be related, but those are not the same thing.

So again, the very first thing you wrote in your OP was, "Do I have to believe in Jesus to be saved?"

My question is: From what is it that you think you have to be saved?

• unsure
    unsure

@jp1692

Expounded on this earlier on this page.

"Saved from Adamic sin. The scope of this thread is Christianity and the Bible mentions Adamic sin whether we like it/understand the concept or not."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit