Do I have to believe in Jesus to be saved?

by unsure 119 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jp1692
    jp1692

Unsure: I want to believe. I pray for whatever is out there to reveal themselves to me.

Could it be that your lack of a personal revelation is because there is no one out there to reveal themselves?

Hungarian psychiatrist, Tamás Szasz, once quipped, "If you talk to God, that's prayer. If he talks to you, that's schizophrenia."

Unsure: How am I supposed to ignore logical explanations and information and deny it and attribute it to the Divine?

Easy: Don't.

• unsure
    unsure

Re-posting these thoughts/questions for believers in this thread. Interested to hear their response. Please read and respond to each point.

The issue is I want to believe. I pray for whatever is out there to reveal themselves to me.

However a "feeling" does not prove anything. An event that is pure coincidence that many would say is Divine does not prove anything. A vision, dream or illusion does not prove anything. These could be psychological tricks. I want that feeling that some have that they are truly convinced they have been saved. Even still, whats to stop that feeling from being a psychological trick? That is my problem with having to have 100% unquestionable faith. As others have said, God could easily use skywriting, or have one of each of his myriads of angels appear in front of every human, then there would be no doubt.

Even scholars debate the existence of Jesus outside the context of the Bible.

How am I supposed to ignore logical explanations and information and deny it and attribute it to the Divine?

To add:

How can you be so sure Christianity is the correct?

For those who have been saved, how do you know you were actually saved and the feeling of being saved, the vision, the dream, the incident etc. is not just pure coincidence or is not just a psychological trick?

We know gravity exists, because any human around the world can observe it and test it at any moment. To say gravity does not exist would be denying the undeniable. Gravity is gravity; it's not known by a different concept depending on where in the world you are born. There is really not much dispute. Gravity is truth, gravity is testable, gravity is fact.

If a certain religion is true, why is it not like gravity described above?

How do you know that every passage of the Bible has remained pure and unaltered?

As stated earlier, there are many who have not been exposed to Christianity. If believing in Jesus is the only way to be saved from Adamic sin, is it fair to those who were born into areas with other religions who teach that theirs is the true religion and not Christianity? Is it fair to those who have not heard of Christianity? Is it fair to those who have denied Christianity because they encountered it in a non favorable light? What if the preacher did more to turn people away then to draw them and they rejected Jesus?

If the answer is, "it takes faith", well faith is an "assured expectation". Is not an expectation a hope of something that has a chance of maybe not happening or being true? Expectation is defined as a "strong belief" but a belief is not fact.

Another wonderful user pointed out to me various examples in the Bible of people who doubted. They told me to approach God with whatever faith I may have, even if limited. This makes sense to me. I can see a loving God accepting any amount of faith.

To those who say I need to 100% believe if Jesus or I wont be saved from Adamic sin, how is this possible or fair with everything I've mentioned above especially from a God that is described as Loving and who knows our limitations?

• hooberus
    hooberus

unsure,

In case you haven't noticed.

This website has very, very few believers in creation and the Bible.

Its overwhelmingly an Evolutionist/ Atheist/anti Bible site.

If you are sincere and want to dialogue with believers you should look elsewhere such as

expreacherman.com for salvation questions

or perhaps evolutionfairytale.com forum for apologetics questions.

Don't expect a dialogue from a believer here.

• waton
    waton
    if a certain religion is true, why is it not like gravity described above?

unsure: gravity is always attractive, but many members here have found aspects of the WTBTS inc setup really repulsive

• jp1692
    jp1692

Unsure: Re-posting these thoughts/questions for believers in this thread.

Are those of us that are not "believers" to understand this to mean you don't want to hear what any of us have to say on the subject?

If so, then you're asking the wrong crowd.

It sounds like, since you don't like the answers you're getting, you're just going to ignore them.

• unsure
    unsure

@jp1692

I'm not ignoring answers from non-Christians. Quite the contrary. I'm just interested in both sides.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Good to know, Unsure, good to know.

• unsure
    unsure

I don't understand the purpose of that last post

Is there something wrong with listening to both sides?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Is there something wrong with listening to both sides?

Nothing at all wrong with that. I like your questions and am interested to hear believer's responses too. There are a few on this forum.

• unsure
    unsure

@hooberus

I've found quite a few believers on here.

You're comment isn't fair.

Going to a Christian based site will get me answers from Christians.

Here, we have both.

Your beliefs should be able to be posted without worry and should be able to stand up to public scrutiny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit