If you could live forever, would you and why?

by Kenneson 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

This questions was asked to Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss U.S.A. Contest. Her response was: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."

My view. No. Why? Because no one else has and I don't believe I'm more special than they are. Not even Jesus lived forever here. Rutherford's fantasy that "Millions now living will never die" proved to be another one of those Jehovah's Witness fabrications. For of the millions he wrote about in his day, most are gone or going.

What about you?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    This questions was asked to Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss U.S.A. Contest. Her response was: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."

Brilliant....tell me she didn't go on to become Miss America, please.

Answer to question: No, I wouldn't want to live on earth forever... at 40+ my bones are already starting to ache. Now a painless eternity is another matter.

• Xena
    Xena

hhmmmm interesting question...I suppose it would depend on the circumstances...would everyone be living forever or just me....would it be in a paradise of MY choosing or some kind of hellish JW world??

Gimme more to go on....

• gumby
    gumby

In the shape "i'm in now? Huh uh.

That's a big question with little detail. If you could change your mind if you didn't like the world scene, then I might go for it. If my decision was permanent, I wouldn't do it, as nobody knows how shitty it might get. If it was in good conditions......yes, I think I would go for it. Nobody wants to die and be forgotten, yet nobody knows for sure if they want to live forever......kinda weird eh?

Gumby

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I would only choose to live forever if it were proven that extraterrestrial civilizations existed and interstellar travel was a reality.

Two hundred thousand years down the road, if I were still cooped up on this planet, I'm sure I'd be bored to death with petting lions and having done everything there was to do countless times. I'd probably go insane and/or commit suicide.

• tink
    tink

yes, but only if i could be eternally young.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Yes, I would. That's why I love Vampire movies. Not because of the blood-drinking, but because they are so beautiful, and never die. I loved the idea in Interview With the Vampire, that Brad Pitt lived through so many centuries. Changing with the eras. Learning new things constantly. How could you be bored watching as the world transformed?

Three things though...I'd have to be rich and gorgeous. And I wouldn't like seeing my friends and family die. Like Adrian Paul in Highlander...watching each new person he loved deeply grow old and die would be heartbreaking.

Isn't this what drew us ALL to JWS? The promise of life eternal?

• AJN
    AJN

Yup, provided I could be eternally youthful and have an eternally youthful Brad Pitt as my husband - I quite possibly would never get bored :)

• avishai
    avishai

Well, I don't relish ressurection into a JW world because under no circumstances would I want to say goodby to "Mr. Happy"

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I definitely side with Miss Alabama on this one: horrible as death may be in our minds, suppress it and everything we value in "humanity" vanishes.

Btw, life without death would be life without sex or birth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit