World Powers

by Fred Franztone 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

JWs have a unique interpretation of the seven kings of Revelation. They of course refer to Roman rulers, but the WT believe they represent certain 'world powers'.

The problem with these world powers is how arbitrary they are, not to mention the fact that none of them truly were world powers, in fact none of them even covered the entirety of Europe, and the Anglo-American world power isn't even a distinct entity.

Then there are all of the world powers that are left out for convenience, many of which were far bigger. The Mongolian empire and the Ottoman empire were both bigger than half of the chosen world powers, such as Medo-Persia.

Has anyone ever taken this topic up with JWs? And if so, what sort of responses have you received?

• sir82
    sir82

I think the official JW position is something along these lines:

"Yes, of course, there were other large 'world powers', but the seven we highlight had a particularly strong influence on 'Jehovah's people'. For example, the Egyptians enslaved the Hebrews so they are one of the seven, but (for example) the Mongolian invasion of Russia / Eastern Europe didn't affect a large number of 'Jehovah's people' so that doesn't count."

It's stupid but at least it is coherent.

• zboubiz
    zboubiz

Sir82 you’re exactly right

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

It may be consistent, but it's wrong. The Mongolian invasion of what we now call Russia had a huge impact on Christianity.

JWs need to try harder.

• sir82
    sir82

The Mongolian invasion of what we now call Russia had a huge impact on Christianity Christendom, the counterfeit Christianity that is part of the world empire of false religion.

There, fixed it for you, based on the JW perspective.

JWs need to try harder.

I dunno, most of the JWs I know are quite trying.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Yes as a child Is was aware that the vast Mongolian empire was absent.,but their excuse was the head empires did not effect the Jews or early Christians. Since they believe true Christianity only extended to the first century CE only the Roman empire crossed paths with them ( except modern jWs of course, whose nemesis is the 'Anglo American' currently affording them every protection!)

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

The bible says nothing about any of this, that's what's so frustrating. If JWs were to read Revelation without any of the WTS baggage, they'd see how obvious it is that it was written in the late-1st century, and aimed at people who were living during that century; it even says so in the opening chapter. There is no greater fulfilment, not in Revelation, nor in Daniel, it's all just nonsense.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Their "prophesies" and interpretations were all made up by white European-American men, and it shows.

On top of that, most of the WT leaders and come up with this BS are not educated enough to even recognize what the Mongolian Empire and the Ottoman Empire were.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Similar to Sir82, the world powers only count those that directly affected the Israelites, with 3 being named in Daniel. Rome and the "Anglo-American" world powers went on to affect Christians. There is a vast missing gap from Zenobia to Britain. JW's don't seem to care about the 2,000 year gap from Jesus to Russell, which they dismiss as the virgins sleeping.

I have some information touching on this at https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/blog/daniel-prophecy-history.php

• deegee
    deegee

According to WT publications "world powers" in JW land means those found in the Bible who have oppressed, opposed, supported, aided etc God's chosen people the Israelites because either God allowed it or they were God's instruments or it was somehow a part of the divine plan.

Not all world powers fall into this category of course and so if you don't know world history you would conclude (as I did when I was a young brainwashed JW) that the only world powers to have existed are those mentioned in the Bible and by the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit