JW Parents and kicking out their children

by NJ501 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Also, in regard to the question on whether jw parents are showing conditional love in kicking them out, they have been brainwashed (by use of videos recently) that such shunning is actually SHOWING CHILDREN A TYPE OF TOUGH LOVE!

This is truly twisted

:0)

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There is pressure from some self righteous ones to kick the kid out. No matter that being in the home is the "law of the Land" and what influence you have is lost once they move. Then brother self righteous and his friends have trouble with their kids, and cover it over big time. I no longer believe in real concern from the leaders.

• Londo111
    Londo111

When I was 17, 2 years after I was baptized, I had major doubts and wanted to leave the religion. My family had a meltdown over it. My father basically told me that the moment I turned 18, I'd be kicked out. Until then, he wanted me to pay rent.

They also called the elders, who basically bamboozled me into believing it was "the truth" again. Ultimately I didn't leave and got sucked in until age 39 or 40.

I was basically a good kid. I wasn't smoking, drinking, doing drugs. I wasn't dating either or sleeping with anyone. My only fault was that I no longer believed it was "the truth". Of course, my father was an elder...at this time, he may have been PO, but I can't remember.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i know one ex who was kicked out--the same day she told her dad she didnt want to carry on pioneering--or attending. she was 18.

a former friend ( i was his best man ) kicked out his daughter when she left the cult. hasnt seen her for years--she went to australia. ( from the UK )

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NJ501:

I know of two cases personally where children of Witnesses were asked to move out if they did not get "baptized" or active in the religion. They had themselves declared emancipated minors because they wanted nothing to do with the religion. Their parents gave them no other choice.

Some Witnesses want to deny that this goes on but it does. Makes me grateful I was not raised a JW.

As far as the story where if a certain Witness child was not baptized by age 16 their bags would be at the front door:..any JW parents who do this deserve to never again see the face of their child.

If the child grows to adulthood and finds out the parents have fallen on hard times and are starving - they should ignore them.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Parents are encouraged to remove their children of adult age if they have been disfellowshipped or are unbaptized publishers that no longer belief or have otherwise committed "sins". Fathers cannot have privileges if they have unbelieving children of any age living with them.

Thus, yes, it is common place for children, partners and elder family to be thrown out of the house if they are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses.

If they do live in the house (which the Watchtower publication strongly imply should only happen if there is no other choice), they cannot have "spiritual" engagement, they cannot pray together, talk about religion and given this governs several hours per week of your life, the majority of free time for most, you basically get minimal conversation. Siblings are encouraged not to talk to disfellowshipped ones which also applies, only the parent/child basic needs (food, support and living arrangement) relationship is allowed to continue.

• NJ501
    NJ501

Thanks for all your comments.

Because I've been recently threatened to pack my bags and get out. Even though Im not disfellowshipped and Im not a bad person. I dont want to leave and live a immoral lifestyle either.

And Ive heard of similar situations where kids have been kicked out and was wondering if this is a common situation.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta
    I don't want to leave and live an immoral lifestyle either.

It depends upon your definition of immoral. I think it's immoral to abandon your children. Besides, believe it or not, you can be moral without being a Witness. I prefer people who are moral out of true conscience and principle, rather than fear, and there are far more of them than there are Witnesses.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Well, I was 21 and disfellowshipped at the time, but when I told my parents I didn't want to go to the meetings anymore they spent a long time trying to talk me into going and then eventually told me I'd have to find a new place to live if I wasn't going to continue attending the meetings.

• Chook
    Chook

It's to do with the conditioning of a Jw family, which the org want the same rules at the KH brought home, so any trouble on the home front can be dealt with kicking kids to the curb. This rejection of children is on par with their pedophile issues because those in need are violated by a greedy church. And for the GB to call Christendom a harlot when this wretched religion has done more damage to the family unit and literally bled believers dry .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit