THE LINGERING SHADOW OF '75

by Terry 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i was active in the late 60's. 1975 was all they ever talked about.

i quit in 71--for other reasons.

only found this ex jw world 6 years ago--i was very surprised there were still any jw's left.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

so i think was the elder wrong to say we only have months to go?

In the Kingdom Ministry on the back page there was the feature Presenting The Good News. In the October 1974 issue it was ' With the "Eternal Purpose Book".'

i was presenting the 'good news' with the 'Eternal Purpose book,' as a pioneer and so was the elder. I assume

When my parents studied and baptised the elder who studied with them said (according to my brother) that it was impossible for him to die of old age. This was due to faith, faith in the good news I believe.

Watchtower September 1st 1969 page 532.

Jehovah has made many promises of things yet to occur, One may hope that such things will come to pass, but such expression may only be a whimsical wish, not real faith. Faith is more than just an expectation. It is expectation that is assured to such a degree that it is able to support , uphold and guarantee that what is hoped for will become a reality. (italics are in the Watchtower) This is the meaning of hypostasis, a word common in ancient papyrus business documents in reference to guarantees placed on the transactions.
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I was in my last 2 years of high school (68, 69) when the articles, books, talks, and speculation about 1975 started to swell. Of course at that impressionable age and with my uber family's not so subtle influence, I was swept along with the hype.

However Pisstoff makes an important point about the prevailing attitude of now or never sex. My MS, pioneer, son of the Congregation Servant boyfriend pressured me to become engaged to him at age 16. I succumbed and was married at age 17 in 1969. (my father was dead but where was my mother?)

As a married teenager and young twenty something in the 1970's who had overly strict and abusive parents, life was never better! I could FINALLY move away and come and go as I pleased. I didn't realize my hubby was living a double life and didn't believe a word of the hype. We attended parties and gave them, entertained, went to movies every week ETC.

Our new cong was very small (about 30 pubs) when we moved there in '71. By '75 there were almost 80 including the 4 that I studied with. I hate to admit it but seeing that kind of growth and enthusiasm was faith strengthening. The scrip about "10 men taking hold of the skirt of a Jew" was read weekly so it seemed to my young uneducated mind to confirm that Jw's had the truth. I was enjoying my life so much I secretly hoped the big A would be late but didn't DARE breathe a word to anyone not even hubby and he did the same.

When '75 came and went so did many in our KH. I chocked it up to people being "Rice Christians" then selfishly leaving when they didn't receive the big reward. I didn't want to be a selfish person so I stayed willfully and blissfully ignorant like so many others.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS's creation of 1975 was probably the most corrupt devised doctrinal agenda that the WTS/JWS leaders ever came up with ( F. Franz ), in the view of the organization using a dating calculation that was used twice previously ( 6000 years of mankind's existence )

My guess is that the WTS put so much emphasis that they were and had been preaching true bible teachings unlike the other Christian denominations, that they internally exploited what the organization previously self propagated about itself.

It was a very deceitful thing to do to people causing an enormous amount of anxiety and stress among the JW members.

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator
    Terry, I know somebody who knew Lonnie Payne very well. I would say it's a small world, but I know better.
  • Terry
    Terry
    Naoscillator17 minutes ago
    Terry, I know somebody who knew Lonnie Payne

I bet I know that somebody as well!
  • TD
    TD

None of you are old enough to have been there, I suspect.

Early 70's was the point when my family studied and I was nearly baptized as a JW. My wife is the one thing from that episode that I don't regret.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

In the September 1974 Kingdom Ministry on the front page in the letter it mentions the Eternal purpose book that was in my previous post along with another book that was released at the summer assembly that year and urges the reading of the publications and says the information the 'books contain you need to know now.' and not to wait until it was covered in the public talks. Maybe it was due to this.

In the book Gods Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing for Man's Good. (1974) page 131/132

'The first half or evening period of Gods seventh creative day was now closing, 3500 years from the creation of Adam and Eve, The morning of this creative day was due to begin at 526 BCE.'

page 186

'..hurling them into the abyss and sealing them up there, bound as with chains for the next thousand.Revelations 20;1-3 pictures this, not as a part of the war at Har- Magedon, but as a follow up of that war.'

THE LINGERING SHADOW OF '75

I think there is a lingering something

• Terry
    Terry

1975 was 41 years ago.

I think Adam has had plenty of time alone.

When will Eve come along?

With identical DNA, (it is Adam's own rib) his wife will be a clone, directly related to him in every way. Their children will undoubtedly be a Cryptozoologist's dream come true.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Terry - "Their children will undoubtedly be a Cryptozoologist's dream come true."

Hell, even the "Ancient Aliens" guy would want in on that action.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit