THE LINGERING SHADOW OF '75

by Terry 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry

I said to my (former) best friend, a still-in JW, "What is a more obvious disproof of False prophecy than 1975?"

This fellow is a masterful deflector. He replied, "I personally know at least 30 or 40 who were upset enough to leave the Organization over that 1975 issue. You know what I think? I think they were only in this religion to save their own asses and not because they loved Jehovah!"

This absolutely floored me. Did you see what he just did? It was amazingly sly. He switched the connotation and reframed the problem in less than a second!

I replied to him the following.

"So do I hear you saying to me that a Christian is required to spread false prophecy to others in Jehovah's name, under his Authority for no better reason than we shouldn't care about our own asses because we mistakenly demonstrate "love" by becoming complicit in blasphemy?"

He was silent and the wheels clickety clicked. I watched fascinated as the processing whirred along. Seconds later he answered slowly.

"No-o-o, I'm not saying that. I'm saying I am not perfect and neither is anybody who is a human being connected with any religious group. I'm saying we have to trust the Faithful and Discreet slave are doing the best they can with what they've got. Jehovah corrected them. That was Him showing His love. We show our love by waiting and not running ahead."

Wow!

That steamed me. For one thing, it is so self-satisfied, complaisant and smug. Further, it completely IGNORES the central issue involved!

I tried yet again.

"Why is there a test for False Prophets in the Bible in the first place if isn't going to mean anything when we discover one? Does the Bible urge us to act patiently when advised by a False Prophet and to wait on Jehovah--or does it say the False Prophet is to be PUT TO DEATH? Sounds rather cut and dried to me. What am I missing?"

I knew by now I wasn't dealing with an honest thinker and that this was his ego being protected. I felt I had put him on the mat and he wasn't willing to cry "Uncle."

He responded. "What am I supposed to do--become a Baptist again; start believing in Hell and the Trinity? Where do I go that has true Bible teachings better than what the Society gives us?"

Did you hear that? He's so sneaky! He loves switching the premise out from under the discussion. It is so shady!

I was growing angry and not quite able to hold back as calmly as I should. After all, I had known this JW my whole life. He's the bastard who recruited me into the cult!
    I growled at him:

"You're so full of it. That's like buying apples with only one worm because the other apples have two or three worms! Who wants to eat a goddamned worm in the first place? What makes you think you have to join any religion and go along to get along? Why can't you have a personal relationship with God as an individual . . .?"

And just as I was saying these words I knew in advance what his rebuttal would be. I could have made it for him. So I suddenly veered off and intercepted it preemptively.

". . . and don't tell me Jehovah only works through the Organization. Paul was a Lone Ranger and Jesus himself constantly argued with Jehovah's "Organization" in his day where the governing body were the freakin' Pharisees!"

I watched his face and knew I wasn't calm enough to make any sober impression on him. He waited till I was quiet and calmly followed up.

"I am waiting on Jehovah and making the best choice I know how to make. I'm sure Jehovah will deal with those Brothers who got 1975 wrong and stumbled thousands of little ones. It has nothing to do with me. I can only be loyal to his appointed leaders and trust he'll show me the way."

Oh fer Crissakes! How bleedin' fake humble can you get?

So, you see, there was no progress made at all and I got a spike in my blood pressure for nothing.

"Here is what happened and make no mistake about it. Millions of us took time out of our lives to spread a big, fat stinking piece-of-shit False Prophecy because we trusted some crazy old coot named Freddy Franz who had one foot in the insane asylum and the other foot on a banana peel. We got the world focusing on a fake date and then nothing happened which only made the world laugh out loud at our FAKE GOD Jehovah because of all our millions of hours spent for nothing. They stole part of my life and I will never get that time back again. I went to prison for absolutely nothing. I will never get my 21st birthday back because I spent it sitting on my ass in prison. I was lied to and I was sent out to lie to others. If you think this is an act of LOVE to go along with it and smile and eat their shit like it was mom's apple pie--go right ahead. I think it is a miserable excuse for Christianity. If you want to know what ELSE you could do--how about this? Spend some time working for a charity, visit a hospital, visit the sick and elderly, take meals door to door instead of rag magazines with puke in them. Help crippled children, become a volunteer fireman, build houses for the poor. . . how's that for a start?"

He simply shrugged and said the rather feckless phrase. "We'll just have to agree to disagree." And that was that.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Of course, Terry, we will never, ever see a REAL apology come from the WatchTower Society about any of their failed prophesies or life destroying advice. I prefer to view people who do not apologize in the same manner as Thomas Szasz: "Beware of people who don't know how to say 'I am sorry'. They are weak and frightened, and will, sometimes at the slightest provocation, fight with the desperate ferocity of a frightened animal that feels cornered."

SOUND FAMILIAR?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It has to be acknowledge and accepted that part of being a JWS is being indulgently corrupt or intellectually dishonest in supporting the lies and corruption propagated by the WTS's own GB leaders who " They " say are being guided and directed by him and his holy spirit.

The impending causative result of not doing so can identify one as a possible opposer , resulting in critical examination forwarded by the Watching regulaters noted as the positioned elders .

The other pertaining aspect is that once someone has positioned a white sheet of righteousness over themselves, self identifying them as being in " The Truth " mentally infused by the WTS's own indoctrination process, that becomes vitally important for people to protect, even when you point scripturally that setting dates ie. 1874, 1914, 1925, 1975 etc. is in opposition to Jesus's own teachings toward his true obedient followers.

In reality the WTS has conducted itself as disobedient opposers to Jesus's own direction toward preaching his gospel to mankind.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Next time Terry you get into a conversation with a JWS about the WTS propagating false prophecies, point out that the WTS used a 6000 year dating scheme 3 times in its overall history and watch for their response .

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Finkelstein to answer your question from my personal experience.

The Rebel :- When I get in to a conversation with a witness about the W.T propagating false prophecies, they somehow manage to turn a blind eye to this perceived " little innocent" mistake of having been repeatedly mislead and lied to by there God, the G.B.

In fact the G.B have covered themselves by starting personal campaigns against, people like us, i.e. they label us " mentally diseased" and say we are siding with Satan, Thery also have there "Police and Legal representives" known as Elders to make sure everyone in the congregation thinks we have half a brick missing with our insane rumblings, of Gods organization having made false prophecies.

The Rebel.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Manfred Groulx,

I graduated high school in 1968. A JW classmate (Manfred Groulx) was trying to warn me (bless his heart) about the approach of Armageddon. He said we will never grow old in this system; post secondary education was useless, no time to pursue a career, it would be too late for me in 1975... I told him he would wake up in 1976 with egg all over his face.

• Manfred also was convinced that:

a. prior to the 20C; from AD 33 – 1900, less than 150,000 faithful Christians existed.

b. heaven's gates essentially closed in 1935 because the full number of anointed Christians was reached.

c. that another group of non-anointed Christians had started to form by 1935.

d. that the 1914 generation, that is people who saw the events of 1914 would witness the introduction of a safe new system of things.

I wonder where Manfred is now.

• zeb
    zeb
    He is cleaning windows.?
  • TD
    TD

The elders and CO in the congregation I grew up in made it quite clear that nobody knew when the end was coming. We were told we had no idea if 1975 meant anything or not.

"One thing is absolutely certain, Bible chronology reinforced with fulfilled Bible prophecy shows that six thousand years of man's existence will soon be up, yes, within this generation! (Matt. 24:34) This is, therefore, no time to be indifferent and complacent. This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that "concerning that day and hour nobody knows , neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matt. 24:36) To the contrary, it is a time when one should be keenly aware that the end of this system of things is rapidly coming to its violent end." -The Watchtower, August 15, 1968

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    in the hall i was a pneer an elder early in 75 got on the platform and said we had only months to go in another congregation a few years early the elders had a special meeting for the elders and servants because were not positively talking about 75 and the end.
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

EVERYONE I knew didn't 'believe' the end was coming in '75; they KNEW it.

KNEW it.

It was the culture we all were soaked in; it colored every single thing we did, the plans we made and didn't make, jobs, medical decisions, marriage plans.

So many couples got married that were just too young, because the 'thinking' then was that there would be no marriage (ie, NO SEX) after Armageddon, and we were like 17, 18, 19 years old; that meant if we wanted to have sex, it was now or never, so that meant NOW.

I put off medical decisions, ruled out college, took a job in the trades because they paid more upfront than a career with a large company (who the hell needs a pension, the company will be gone, stupid!!).

But more than that, our minds were not in the here and now; we postponed, we put off, we prioritized based on a very short term worldview.

You can put up with a lot if you think it is temporary.

2 prominent elders in my hall set the example by quitting very good jobs, one banker and one executive in state government, and pioneering; they painted houses, small odd jobs, etc.

And then 1975 came and went.

I quit pioneering, went into the trades full time, and started partying my ass off with my good (bad?) witness buddies, right up until I quit drinking for good. Lucky for me, the year I quit drinking the Society softened their stance on 12 step groups.

And yeah; they blamed US for 'running' ahead. We all knew better, but you could not say this out loud then, any more than you can now.

It isn't any different now; witnesses expect the end any day now, very close, very close, blah blah blah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit