THE LINGERING SHADOW OF '75

by Terry 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

LHG

The watchtower blamed the loyal ones for being idiots...sorta.....

"Out of zeal and enthusiasm for the vindication of Jehovah's name, Word and purposes, and the desire for the new system, some of his servants have at times been premature in their expectations." Watchtower 1979 Jul 1 p.29 How Jehovah Guides His People
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Saved_JW - "...Pre-1975, the brains of Brooklyn were still laboring under the notion that there were 7 creative days of 7,000 years each. They believed that Eve's creation marked the end of the 6th creative day and that the next 7,000 year period was god's rest day.

They concluded that Adam had been created in 4026 BCE and that Eve was created shortly afterward. If you add 6,000 years to the year date of 4026 (no zero year), the result is 1975 CE. By 1975, 6/7ths of god's rest day would have been expended. It made such a neat package to say that the last 1,000 years of god's rest day would be the 1,000 year reign of Christ. So, 1975 must be the beginning of the 1,000 year reign, ergo armageddon is coming or will be over by 1975..."

Very nice summary.

x

And it proves a point... that dabbling in numerology is like smoking.

It's fun at the time, but in the long run, it's bad for you. :smirk:

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If the WTS was truthful and upfront honest they would have said that we used the 6000 year dating scheme to create 1975 intentionally to heighten the proliferation of the literature we published.

The WTS. has always been proficient in exploiting people's ignorance with the infusion of fear.

In essence the WTS could be correctly defined as a fear mongering religoius " Publishing Cult "

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Being a JW in the late 60's and early 70's was invigorating. We knew we had the Truth and Armageddon was only a few short years away! The mantra was "stay alive till 75". Our congregation grew like crazy. On many Sunday mornings, there was standing room only at the back of the Kingdom Hall. Sisters were looked down upon if they got pregnant in 1974 or 1975 because of the hardship that their babies would have to experience in a few short months.

I told my Bible students that if they were not baptized by October 1975 that they were going to die at the Great Tribulation. Several told me that JW's have a history of failed prophecies. I guaranteed them not this time. Look at how bad the world conditions are and 6,000 years of mankind's existence proves that Jesus will in the fall of 1975 begin his 1,000 year reign.

At our circuit assemblies, 6 years before 1975, we had a large poster board display to the right of the stage with how many months until October 1975. Every 6 months we got more excited as this countdown continued and the number dwindled much to the excitement and giddiness of the Witnesses.

At the first circuit assembly in 1976 the poster board was gone, not a word was spoken about it. It never happened. I wish they would have a poster board at the assemblies now with how many months have passed since October of 1975. We would be approaching the 500 mark.

But I guess that we should fear not because once again the end is near so don't buy any green bananas. It is on the horizon, right around the corner, so close that you can almost taste it. One elder recently told me how bad the world conditions are and they have never been this bad thus proving just how close the end is. I told him world conditions were a lot worst during WWI and WWII. His brain could not handle that thought process and he changed the subject.

Sour Grapes

• Terry
    Terry

"Out of zeal and enthusiasm for the vindication of Jehovah's name, Word and purposes, and the desire for the new system, some [IN THE WRITING DEPARTMENT UNDER INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE GOVERNING BODY] of his servants have at times been premature in their expectations." Watchtower 1979 Jul 1 p.29 How Jehovah Guides His People

There now--that feel more like a responsible approximation of an admission of negligence. Yet even with that additional bit, this really isn't abject apologizing at its best is it? No. It is deflection. Tsk tsk tsk

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Punk:

"Out of zeal and enthusiasm for the vindication of Jehovah's name, Word and purposes, and the desire for the new system, some of his servants have at times been premature in their expectations." Watchtower 1979 Jul 1 p.29 How Jehovah Guides His People

I was at a convention at Candlestick Park, San Francisco, It seems like it was 1973. Nathan Knorr gave several talks at that convention and he left absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind. Armageddon was coming in 1975. To later counsel us poor schmucks in the Watchtower against "premature expectations" was about as dishonest as one can be.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Franz's postulation about certain ones had gone overly in expectation, was his intent to white wash over (his) lies he propagated himself, for he was in the mix of men who used the 6000 dating scheme previously back in 1943.

I think its fair to say when there is a prevailing presence of Christian virtue, that men will exploit that presence deceivingly to their own means and that is what the leaders of the WTS. have been shown to do repetitively.

The preaching of the Gospel had been turned into a tainted commercialized commodity for the Watchtower Corporation. A vehicle of grand exploitation and manipulation which ruined many lives and made certain men powerful and rich as a causative result

• sparky1
    sparky1

1975? I have NO idea what you are talking about!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Terry8 hours ago

None of you are old enough to have been there, I suspect

i suppose you suspect wrong

• Terry
    Terry

I was taught by my grandfather to watch very carefully when you see somebody who is apologizing to you so you'll know their true character. When you harm somebody you create a debt and an imbalance between you and the victim. How you address that debt requires proper acknowledgment and a request to be allowed to restore the balance.

According to my Paw-paw, an apology is different from an excuse. An excuse is a list of reasons why the person who got caught thinks you shouldn't blame or punish them.

A real apology comes from a person who clearly states their awareness of the harm done, the people hurt, the consequences to others, and the debt the person owns for having started the whole thing.

An apology always contains the word "Sorry" and it stands next to the words "I am."

Anything other than that is waffling deflection.

Finally, a true apology finds the one who did the harm asking or even entreating (begging) for forgiveness directly from any person(s) harm. It is a question and not a statement of hope.

"I hope you'll forgive me" is not good.

"I'm asking (begging) you to forgive me" is good.

"What can I do that help you to forgive me?" is best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit