Resolutions at Kingdom Hall

by sieborg 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

If anyone was ever seen to disagree, they would be counselled very quickly after!

I joked many times during resolutions that there was only one possible answer to give!

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

In the Spanish (US), I have seen a tendency to skip the "questions" portion.

The only contested resolutions I've ever seen had to do with Meeting Times. That did not go over well. The P.O.'s chosen time failed 40% to 60%. It still ended up winning some how. Was the subject of a "Local Needs" re: Supporting Theocratic Direction.

• baker
    baker
    kinda like at work the company would ask for a vote to see whether to start at 5 am on the day before a holiday so all can get off early. Most all in my department voted overwhelmingly against coming in early, but the company seemed to win their way all the time. I figure its just the golden rule...the man with the gold makes the rules...
  • LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Sieborg - yes, to answer your question in the OP, I have seen when there was a resolution and there was some apposed. I was about 20 years ago, but there was about 10 or so who were opposed and they raised their hands, compared to the about 90 who were in favor. Nonetheless, the motion was still passed. But, I have to say, this is really rare.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My point is that while I was in (almost thirty two years) I never once saw anyone put up their hand to vote against a resolution that the body of elders proposed.

Probably the same way the GB decided what to do about the blood fraction issue, the overlapping generation change and the ban on tight pants.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I remember a resolution to change the weeknight meeting nights. One MS worked those evenings, and he seconded the motion.

I asked why and was told he could see jehoopla's spirit wanted the change to happen, so he wanted to support it.

I believe he did not attend the weeknight meetings after the change. lol

• Spiral
    Spiral

We were in a congregation once years ago (this was before we knew this was to be the new pattern) and the congregation was literally forced to build a new kingdom hall. True their hall was terrible, but the only affordable property on offer by the brothers was in a terrible location. Several people vocally disagreed and asked tough questions (such as are you sure we can get new zoning after we buy the property, a very smart question) but the vote was literally forced. A lot of people voted "yes" even though they thought "no". We'd never seen anything like it.

That hall is still in a terrible location..... most of the promised improvements, etc. to the area and the road never materialized. People still grumble (when the "loving brothers" can't hear). Some still suspect someone made extra $$$ on that deal.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    One MS worked those evenings, and he seconded the motion.
    Maybe he want it set up so he could miss meetings.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

In the 40 years as a jw I never once saw a person oppose a resolution - and I saw a lot of shit go down. I must admit as indoctrinated as I was, I was tempted just for the pure hell of it to vote against a resolution, just to see the look on every ones face.

Another good example that I can recall about what a sham these resolutions are. When I was becoming aware of how the society were getting control of the KH assets. I phoned the PO to see if this is what had happened to the KH I attended. His actual words were "he thought so but didn't like to get to involved in these things". At that moment I just lost total respect for the guy as I thought "you total F/wit how could you be so unaware of what you had done and the implications of it when you voted in favor of it. The guy clearly had no idea. Mind you I must admit I was no shining example either.

• the comet
    the comet

I saw two votes that were contested. The first was when I was a teenager. The KH was being totally renovated, we had windows, and the vote was wether to get rid of the windows. It was pretty much split down the middle, the congregation was small, about 30-35 publishers. The vote was taken suddenly on a midweek meeting night, when some of the pro-window people were absent. We voted to get rid of the windows. I remember this was used as an example as to why you should never miss meetings, you might get screwed on a vote!

The other time was several years back when we voted on changing the meeting times. A few of the older elders wanted to move the midweek meeting up from 730 to 7pm. That went over like a lead balloon. We voted and it wasn't that close. Still it was a strange sight to not see a unanimous vote in a KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit